Second Home SDLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Home SDLT

I just want some clarification on a scenario.

Say I lived abroad and had a buy to let property in England.

I want to move back to England and so buy a second property for £500,000 which will become my main residence.

Do you think it would be cheaper to:

1) Just buy a 500k house I like and pay the second property additional SDLT.

Or

2) Buy a very cheap house/flat around 150k/200k, pay the second property additional SDLT (which will be less than the 500k house), live there until it's classed as my main residence then buy the 500k house I really want without paying the extra SDLT as I'm only changing my main residence?

It doesn't work like that - you pay the additional 3% on any property above the first that you own.
    There's a transitional allowance, to help people who sold their home and haven't bought a new one who might otherwise have been caught out., but it wouldn't apply in your scenario.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

and that "own" is anywhere in the world, just in case you have property overseas also.

I think you may be confusing SDLT on purchase with the CGT that would be due if you sold a house that wasn't classed as your main residence. As jpkeates pointed out, SDLT is calculated differently.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
        by jhoggard
        Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
        20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by SouthernDave
        I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
        23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by jpkeates
        I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
        At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
        23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by SouthernDave
        i concur with this, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders....
        23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by JamesHopeful
        This is not true in my experience. I currently have eight properties in the same company, across a number of different mainstream BTL lenders, and none of them have batted an eyelid at the number.

Where I have known lenders worry about the company is it doesn't have the correct SIC code...
        23-01-2022, 16:28 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by theartfullodger
        Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
        22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by Gordon999
        1. No. You have not sold the property yet

2. 19% on profit by company.

3. Seek advice from accountant.
        22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
      • haring inherited property
        by halfax
        i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
        as anyone done similar?...
        19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
      • Reply to haring inherited property
        by halfax
        thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
        21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
      • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
        by ifallelsefails
        I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonygimp...alSubdomain=uk
        He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
        https://www.bel.gb.net/
        21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
      Working...
      X