Stamp Duty on main residence & a holiday let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty on main residence & a holiday let

I am about to buy a house and bridge while I sell my exist house (yes, I know!!). They will be my main residence, so I will need to pay the 3% stamp duty surcharge and claim it back after I sell my existing house. However.... I also already own a holiday let - will this prevent me from getting a rebate?

The rules are based on the number of properties you own at the end of the transaction rather than the purpose of the property.

There's a transitional arrangement where someone has sold their residence and not bought a new one when the rules were introduced, but I don't think that would apply here.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you can prove you have moved from old main residence to new main residence , you have up 3 years to claim back the 3% extra sdlt paid on new residence..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Giving/Gifting House to Kids
        by Tony-Edwards
        Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
        11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
      • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
        by gnvqsos
        You seem to know a great deal of events in the 70s,or are you relying on hearsay?...
        19-08-2022, 16:41 PM
      • Capital Gains Tax
        by LVA
        Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
        16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
        by gnvqsos
        very basic,indeed!
        19-08-2022, 16:37 PM
        by AndrewDod
        Inflation as a form of indirect taxation is basic economics, well described in about 15 million academic articles....
        19-08-2022, 09:18 AM
        by gnvqsos
        AndrewDod,

Inflation can be corrosive but it is not a tax ,as the government do not receive a corresponding income. The government spend money derived from either tax receipts ,trading income or by borrowing through the sale of securities/bonds. Printed money is distributed by commercial...
        18-08-2022, 18:59 PM
        by Gordon999
        The capital gains is charged at 18% or 28 % rate, and this depends on your job income, which is taxed at 20% or 40% .

Assuming the capital gains tax rate is about 25% average , your total gain is probably around 4 x £50K = £200K ( or over. )

If you are married...
        18-08-2022, 11:26 AM
      • Overseas
        by jase222
        Hi,
        I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
        17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
      • Reply to Overseas
        by jpkeates
        I suspect that the accountant wasn't citing the regulations, he was explaining the reality....
        18-08-2022, 11:18 AM
      • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
        by Tony-Edwards
        It wasn't meant to question HMRC - it was a response to the rude and thoughtless comments made by some....
        18-08-2022, 09:51 AM
      Working...
      X