Stamp Duty on main residence & a holiday let

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Stamp Duty on main residence & a holiday let

    I am about to buy a house and bridge while I sell my exist house (yes, I know!!). They will be my main residence, so I will need to pay the 3% stamp duty surcharge and claim it back after I sell my existing house. However.... I also already own a holiday let - will this prevent me from getting a rebate?

    The rules are based on the number of properties you own at the end of the transaction rather than the purpose of the property.

    There's a transitional arrangement where someone has sold their residence and not bought a new one when the rules were introduced, but I don't think that would apply here.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      If you can prove you have moved from old main residence to new main residence , you have up 3 years to claim back the 3% extra sdlt paid on new residence..


      Latest Activity


      • Will I pay stamp duty?
        So i was hoping for some good advice.

        Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

        18-05-2019, 16:02 PM
      • Reply to Will I pay stamp duty?
        There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.
        18-05-2019, 21:34 PM
      • Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
        Hi there

        i am one of four directors of a company that owns the freehold of the four flats in our house.

        one of the owners is selling and wants to extend the lease as its dropped to 67 years. I realise now we should have done 999 leases as soon as we bought the freehold but...
        14-05-2019, 10:12 AM
      • Reply to Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
        Thanks - it would be our preference to renew them all at the same but unfortunately the seller is pushing us as their buyer is threatening to pull out.

        We now have differing advice over whether we will be liable to pay tax on the assumed financial benefit of the extended lease at no cost....
        17-05-2019, 16:27 PM
      • Capital gains tax and tax credits
        hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
        17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
      • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
        update - ive been onto the tax credits for the past hour and they are saying not to inclue unless im re-investing or making money from the capital gains
        17-05-2019, 16:16 PM
      • Is this legal?
        Hi all, I am completely new to this so wanted to get some informal advice. I currently jointly own a freehold property in London (with my sister that lives in the US) that I inherited from my mother many years ago. I do not live in the house, not does my sister; until now, the entire property was let...
        15-05-2019, 22:04 PM
      • Reply to Is this legal?
        It's permitted, but is obviously designed to evade tax. You need to declare the income you receive from your son - and pay tax on it. What is he going to pay over to you - the full rent or more than he has actually received? For £1500 this is a lot of complications and your son becomes a landlord with...
        17-05-2019, 09:56 AM
      • Reply to Is this legal?
        Your son is basically renting the property from you, so he can deduct the rent he pays you from his income, so you don’t end up paying tax twice.
        17-05-2019, 07:21 AM
      • Reply to Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
        If the freehold title is owned by external party, then the external "freeholder" would charge each leaseholder for lease extension.

        If the freehold company is owned by the 4 leaseholders, the members of the freehold company can agree to extend all flats together to 999...
        17-05-2019, 05:49 AM