Tax Question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tax Question


    I am in the process of agreeing my Lease Extension which is £6K. The Bank will give me further borrowing for this sum to run along side my mortgage on Int only basis. From speaking with the Inland appears that I can offset the int against my Tax. I am currently a high rate tax payer.

    My Rental property takes £8400 per year. My question is, is it worth me just paying for this lease ext from my own personal cash or taking the bank loan and offsetting the int element which works out to roughly £500 per year ?.

    Appreciate any help on this.....

    thanks Ian

Latest Activity


  • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
    Well after emailing and chatting to around 20 solicitors and accountants i finally found someone who specializes in these matters.

    Took a lot of time and effort but instead of over £21,000+ its actually £9,250 which is a saving of £12k, phew just shows you that many solicitors have little...
    13-08-2022, 18:25 PM
  • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
    Hello everyone,
    I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

    I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

    I have phoned 5 different solicitors
    10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
  • Sunday Times Report 7 Aug 2022 ( on Welsh holiday lets.)
    by Gordon999
    This report was about a retired solicitor living in Cardiff , with 2 holiday lets in Solva , Pembrokeshire. His properties only let for around 18 weeks a year but Welsh Government require 26 weeks letting to qualify for business rates. The increase in council tax to treble rate compared to rate...
    13-08-2022, 17:22 PM
  • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
    by gnvqsos
    Did the labouring job jeopardise his position at Royal Mail? lt is strange no contingency fund was taken on holiday.. I don't think it makes sense to purchase, and insure/maintain a camper van to save on 7 days accommodation.The typical cost including depreciation exceeds £1500 pa...
    13-08-2022, 14:54 PM
  • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
    by Tony-Edwards
    Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

    Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

    Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
    11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
  • Expense Categories
    by philrosenberg
    I'm just in the process of buying my first property as a Ltd company and I have gotten FreeAgent accounting software free with my bank account.

    I have a list of categories to assign to my expenses, but they aren't all that relevant to residential property businesses. I wondered if others...
    13-08-2022, 10:53 AM
  • Reply to Expense Categories
    by theartfullodger
    The old saw was that you had 3 sets of accounts....
    ​​​​​​- one for yourself
    - 2nd for tax man
    - 3rd for wife/husband/partner
    How does your chosen software handle this?...
    13-08-2022, 12:14 PM
  • Higher rate LTT or not?
    by AddictedMonster
    Hi my partner and I are looking to sell one of our rentals and our residential property and buy a larger property.

    I'm confused whether we will be charged the higher rate land transaction tax due to owning a third property that we own that will not be sold as of yet. It was our previous...
    13-08-2022, 11:26 AM
  • Reply to Higher rate LTT or not?
    by AddictedMonster
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the information.
    13-08-2022, 12:04 PM
  • Reply to Expense Categories
    by AndrewDod
    What you record for your own purposes is up to you, but for purposes of tax return, for just one property, and rent < 80K, can just pop it all into "Other expenses" - so long as you can resurrect it when HMRC audits you.

    At least that applies to individual self assessment,...
    13-08-2022, 11:57 AM