Any CGT ih house given to son?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Any CGT ih house given to son?

    my wife and i would like to gift to our son a house we have rented for ten years, for his eighteenth birthday. the property was bought for 40,000 and is worth around 200,000.
    will he have to pay cgt if he sells ?


    1. Is it in mortgage? If so, you will need either to:
    a. discharge the mortgage debt on completing the Transfer; or
    b. obtain consent from the mortgagee (lender).

    2. How long ago did you acquire it? Depending on date of last purchase (and any subsequent Transfer/Assent) and within which local authority's area it is located, it might still be unregistered. The proposed Transfer to your son would then entail a larger registration fee at HM Land Registry (whereas the fee would be only £50 if it's already registered).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


      18? What 18 year old is sensible enough to own a house? (I mean own it outright without having tp have the respobibility of a mortgage)


        It is you that will have the CGT liability not him!

        Assuming that you have never lived in the property, you have a gain of about 160k. Gifting the property to a family member counts, for tax purposes, as a transfer at market value. If you make this transaction now, you have CGT allowances af 9.2k each, the remaining amount will be taxed at your marginal rates. If you wait until after April, the rate will be 18% if the rules announced in the pre-budget become law.

        If your son lives in the property, he will have no CGT liability when he eventually sells it.


        Latest Activity


        • Sunday Times Report 7 Aug 2022 ( on Welsh holiday lets.)
          by Gordon999
          This report was about a retired solicitor living in Cardiff , with 2 holiday lets in Solva , Pembrokeshire. His properties only let for around 18 weeks a year but Welsh Government require 26 weeks letting to qualify for business rates. The increase in council tax to treble rate compared to rate...
          13-08-2022, 17:22 PM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by gnvqsos
          Did the labouring job jeopardise his position at Royal Mail? lt is strange no contingency fund was taken on holiday.. I don't think it makes sense to purchase, and insure/maintain a camper van to save on 7 days accommodation.The typical cost including depreciation exceeds £1500 pa...
          13-08-2022, 14:54 PM
        • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

          Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

          Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
          11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
        • Expense Categories
          by philrosenberg
          I'm just in the process of buying my first property as a Ltd company and I have gotten FreeAgent accounting software free with my bank account.

          I have a list of categories to assign to my expenses, but they aren't all that relevant to residential property businesses. I wondered if others...
          13-08-2022, 10:53 AM
        • Reply to Expense Categories
          by theartfullodger
          The old saw was that you had 3 sets of accounts....
          ​​​​​​- one for yourself
          - 2nd for tax man
          - 3rd for wife/husband/partner
          How does your chosen software handle this?...
          13-08-2022, 12:14 PM
        • Higher rate LTT or not?
          by AddictedMonster
          Hi my partner and I are looking to sell one of our rentals and our residential property and buy a larger property.

          I'm confused whether we will be charged the higher rate land transaction tax due to owning a third property that we own that will not be sold as of yet. It was our previous...
          13-08-2022, 11:26 AM
        • Reply to Higher rate LTT or not?
          by AddictedMonster
          Thank you very much. I appreciate the information.
          13-08-2022, 12:04 PM
        • Reply to Expense Categories
          by AndrewDod
          What you record for your own purposes is up to you, but for purposes of tax return, for just one property, and rent < 80K, can just pop it all into "Other expenses" - so long as you can resurrect it when HMRC audits you.

          At least that applies to individual self assessment,...
          13-08-2022, 11:57 AM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Neelix
          in the eyes of HMRC all this is completely irrelevant...
          13-08-2022, 11:46 AM
        • Reply to Expense Categories
          by Jon66
          Most people I know use an excel spreadsheet.
          13-08-2022, 11:39 AM