Director loans, dividends and interest

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Director loans, dividends and interest


    After reading many sources of information regarding dividends and director loans, I have few questions the bother me, hoping that someone can help me clear them up. Please bear with me as I am a new company director with no experience at all.

    Let's say that I have set up a new SPV, where I am the only director and transfer to it account £100k.

    1. How should the transfer be recorded as a loan? Should I make minute of the director meeting (only me) and note that the company owns me money in the company accounts? Where should I keep this miniute or should I forward it to HMRC? Is there a specific form that needs to filled?

    2. Dividend vs Loan interest

    I would like to understand the logic behind posts I read regarding dividends and loan interest. All of the accountants blogs I read explain that there is no difference between the two, and that loan interest only produce more paper work. However, my logic say that dividends are paid after corporation tax, which is 19%, and are not considered as business expense. When taking dividends we need to pay 7.5% on top if we take more then £2,000 (2018, basic tax payer). This will make total tax of 26.5%.

    However, if we take interest on a the loan mentioned above, we only pay 20% (or 19%?) to HMRC, and it's considered as a business expense. Which means we need to pay less corporation tax on profit. Is this analysis correct or am I missing something? As I understood, there is no additional tax to pay for basic rate tax payers on interest paid from a director loan to a company.

    3. Is it possible to withdrew any amount between £0-£100,000 and write it off as the company returned part of the director loan? Can I withdrew £5,000 every year and write it down as a part of the loan the company returning to me? Will this have any tax implications? Would I need to pay income tax on this?

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on these issues. Have a great weekend.

    Your company will be required to submit annual accounts to Companies House and a company tax return to hmrc. You should visit 2 or 3 accountant shops / bookkeeping service shops and ask them to quote you a fee for preparing the annual account and submitting the return to companies house and at same time ask your questions.

    If you offer a £100K loan to the company , you should put the offer in writing including the loan period , the interest rate and frequency of payment ( monthly, quarterly,etc ) you want . The you as Chairman and sole director must prepare the Minutes of Meeting to accept the terms of loan. Then you keep them with other company records and hand the lot to your accountant at end of year to prepare the company accounts and submit within 9 months from end of financial year. The date will be posted on the Company records at Companies House.


      As far as I can see the interest on the loan is a business expense (and allowable for corporation tax) but is income for the lender, and taxed accordingly - although there is an allowance (which I think is £1000 for a basic rate tax payer).
      If the principle of the loan is repaid, that isn't income for the lender or an expense for the company - the company's balance sheet should reflect the decrease in asset value.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity


      • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by mucker973
        Hi All,
        I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
        24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
      • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by DoricPixie
        Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
        24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
      • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by Gordon999
        If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

        After being registered...
        24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
      • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by jpkeates

        There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
        24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
      • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by mucker973
        Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

        I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
        24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
      • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by jpkeates
        I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

        There are two different things to address.
        If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
        24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
      • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
        by Covent Garden Girl
        Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

        1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
        24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
      • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
        by jpkeates
        Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

        That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
        24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
      • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
        by Bigpat
        I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
        21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
      • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
        by Bigpat
        Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

        I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
        (a) should I purchase three additional...
        23-06-2022, 21:38 PM