Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent a room relieft - multiple rooms?

Hello. My first post here!

If I have a property with 4 bedrooms. Can I rent 3 rooms and still get the current £7500 relief? Total rental income will exceed the £7500 and I appreciate I will pay tax on anything over this. I am a higher rate 40% tax payer on this income so it would help if it is possible to get it.

Thanks!

That ain't how it works.

You either get rent less than £7500, and pay no tax on it, or get more rent than that and pay normal income tax. (Sounds like you'd be best off letting two rooms to keep under the £7500.)

Comment

For reference

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5644382
      Thunderbirds are go

Comment

JK0,

a somewhat confusing reply from you since what OP has posted is precisely how it works...

if the total income is more than the rent a room allowance, but the taxpayer elects to claim the allowance, then the taxpayer will have to pay their marginal rate of tax on the income in excess of the allowance

Op states he is a higher rate taxpayer, so will pay 40% on the amount above 7,500.
        even though he is a higher rate taxpayer he will still get the 7500 tax free since it is what it is, a tax free allowance available to any resident landlord

on the other hand, if OP decides not to claim the allowance, only then would what you have written be true, ie Op would pay income tax on his net profits: gross income - allowable costs = net taxable income. The whole point of the RAR is to allow taxpayers to choose to avoid having to do such calculations and keep cost records

Comment

Three people (who don't comprise a household) will mean the property is an HMO.
          That's probably more of an issue than the income tax (but the relief would be available if it's your home).
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

00ec25, you're right. Ignore my mutterings o/p.

Comment

I'd be more concerned about potential HMO liabilities too.
              There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

The tax rules are in this link to gov website :

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your...-a-room-scheme

Comment

You must be full time resident in your home and rent out one room under £7500 p.a

if the income exceeds £7500, you have to complete a tax return to declare the entire rental income and claim allowable expenses

If you rent out more than one room, you start to take on capital gains tax whilst living in your own home.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                    if the income exceeds £7500, you have to complete a tax return to declare the entire rental income and claim allowable expenses
                    Not quite.

Over the threshold (£7500 this year) you must do a tax return, but you have the options of
                    a) deducting expenses and paying tax on the balance. or
                    b) getting the threshold amount tax free and paying tax on the remainder.

Comment

If your gross receipts are more than £7,500 (or £3,750), you can choose how you want to work out your tax:

Method A
                      You pay tax on your actual profit - your total receipts less any expenses and capital allowances.

Method B
                      You pay tax on your gross receipts over the Rent-a-Room limit - that is, your gross receipts minus £7,500 (or £3,750). You can’t deduct any expenses or capital allowances if you choose this method.

HMRC will automatically use your actual profit (Method A) to work out your tax.

If you want to pay tax using Method B, you need to tell HMRC within the time limit. You will continue to pay tax on your gross receipts over the Rent-a-Room limit until you tell HMRC that you want to change back to paying tax on your actual profit (Method A).

If you pay tax using Method B, this automatically stops if your rental income drops below the £7,500 (or £3,750) limit.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        Three people (who don't comprise a household) will mean the property is an HMO.
                        You're allowed two lodgers and it not be an HMO (this is a specific exemption). If the OP lets all three rooms, however, it will be an HMO and therefore may (or may not) need licensing and/or planning permission, and will definitely need to meet the basic HMO regulations.

I can't see any of this affecting the rent-a-room allowance situation, however.

Comment

The OP was suggesting renting to three people, hence my comment.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                            by dotcotton999
                            Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
                            08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
                          • Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                            by Gordon999
                            D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
                            12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
                          • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                            by Lots on
                            Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
                            12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
                          • CGT and tax returns
                            by Lots on
                            Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
                            02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
                          • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                            by jpkeates
                            Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
                            12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
                          • Reply to spreadsheet
                            by jpkeates
                            I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
                            12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
                          • spreadsheet
                            by jase222
                            I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
                            I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
                            ​​​​​​Any help...
                            11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
                            On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
                            12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
                            by dotcotton999
                            Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
                            11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
                          • Reply to spreadsheet
                            by Gordon999
                            Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
                            11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
                          Working...
                          X