Granting subleases to my spouse on individual flats, is it taxable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granting subleases to my spouse on individual flats, is it taxable ?

My 1st post ! wasn't sure if it fits here or in long leasehold Q's...

I'm in rather unusual situation of owning (on a single long leasehold agreement) a block of Flats which are currently all let on AST's. I would like to transfer ownership/income to my spouse for Tax reasons but would also like to create individual sub-leases in order to regularise the situation and make the individual Flats both saleable & mortgageable. I understand that a simple transfer/gift to my spouse would be free from SDLT & CGT and whilst that is a possibility it doesnt solve the lease problem so I am considering granting long sub-leases(at no cost) to my spouse on each of the individual flats. I have the agreement of the Freeholder but dont understand the TAX situation. Can anybody advise if this would attract SDLT &/or CGT ? or indeed if there is a better way of achieving my goal ? Thanks !

There is no cgt for transfers of property from husband to wife or vice versa . If the property is transferred mortgage free ( as a gift), there is not SDLT to pay.

You need to get quotation from 2 or 3 solicitors experienced in preparing 125 years leases and they will advise what work must be done .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X