Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this tax deductible?

Hello Landlordians,
    After being fed up with trades not turning up and giving silly quotes for small maintenance jobs. I have joined a beginners course for basic property maintenance(plumbing, electrics etc) and would be buying tools too.

I am full-time employed and registered as sole trader. Would the course fee be tax deductible?

Yes.

However, you should bear in mind that your own labour time isn't deductible against income for your own business.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would also be very wary about doing any work in a rental property that had the capacity to injure someone without having a builder to sue if it did

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        I would also be very wary about doing any work in a rental property that had the capacity to injure someone without having a builder to sue if it did
        Yes, and more generally I would also look very carefully at my insurance policy to see what is/is not covered. My policy excludes (amongst other things) damage to the property which is caused by my own defective workmanship, so although I do a lot of routine maintenance on our properties I am very careful not to do anything myself which might cause any significant damage if I get it wrong.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X