Stamp duty question - conversion from commercial to residential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty question - conversion from commercial to residential

I'm hoping to purchase a property that's currently registered as commercial, a doctors practice, with the intention of converting back to its original use as a single residential home. I'll be applying for change of use during the purchasing process, however wanted to check how that'd affect the stamp duty owed. If on completion the council have granted change of use consent would that mean i'd be paying stamp duty on it now being a residential property, or does it only become that once building control have signed off the completed conversion works? I've called the helpline but they weren't too helpful, or at least just not too reassuring.

I can obviously delay the application, though having approval in place makes it a little easier for the lender to lend the full loan amount. Tricky question but would appreciate any help.
    <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Originally posted by jrsteeve View Post
    does it only become that once building control have signed off the completed conversion works?
    I think that the above is the case, since you may get approval for change of use, BUT never implement that etc
    That is my understanding having face a similar situation, but I am not qualified on that to give you opinion.

Comment

Thanks. From what i've been able to gather it wouldn't be considered residential until it's been lived in for a certain period, I believe to be 21 days.
      <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Originally posted by jrsteeve View Post
        Thanks. From what i've been able to gather it wouldn't be considered residential until it's been lived in for a certain period, I believe to be 21 days.
        Does the property title kept by Land Registry show if the property is residential or commercial ?

You will be charged sdlt or not according to the registration at Land Registry,

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X