Could I still claim tax deduction on the loan finance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I still claim tax deduction on the loan finance

I have a portfolio of 6 rental properties and the last 3 of them were purchased with re-mortgages of previously unencumbered properties, with each re-mortgage specifically applied to an individual new property. For my tax return the figures are of course all pooled, (total income minus total borrowing etc).

I am now thinking of selling one of these last 3 rental properties but keeping the loan that we applied to it when we bought it, (the loan is secured on a completely different property). I assume that I can continue to deduct ALL the borrowing from the now reduced total income for tax purposes?

Thanks
    David

Provided that the loans are against properties that are all part of the letting portfolio, they are financed for the business and are allowable.
    What you did with the money released for is academic.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hmm. I think there could be a problem then because the property we have the loan against would then be sold. It seems a bit ad hoc though in that we know which propties we bought with each respective loan but its not recorded in any official form since the funds were raised against other properties.

Comment

If the property with a loan is sold, presumably the loan will be ended by the sale, anyway?

Can you refinance to get the mortgages and properties set up to be the most tax efficient going forward?

Assuming it pays back more than it costs.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

No, as I said, the loans used to buy my last 3 properties were re-mortgages of earlier unencumbered property purchases. Because the funds were used to purchase buy to let properties I have claimed tax relief on the interest payments against the rental income from these newer BTLs. Only I know which loan is applied to which property though, although there is of course a paper trail which shows the funds coming in and then shortly afterwards out again for the purchase. So I would be selling one of the newer BTLs which won't in itself crystallise the debt, but I now do think that I would have to remove the mortgage relief element for it from my tax claim

Comment

I may be being dim here.

Your letting business is one business, not a series of individual property based businesses (unless they're a series of separate limited companies).
            So are the three previouslt unencumbered property purchases against which you have subsequently taken out loand all properties you rent as part of your letting business?

If they are, selling the property you bought with the cash you borrowed on a different let property doesn't change anything, any more than if you'd spent the cash on a holiday or a car.
            The interest is allowed against the property funded, not the one you bought with the money raised by the loan.
            And the funded property rremains in the business.

And if they're not, you can't claim the interest as an allowance on them anyway.

Comment

Ok, that was not my understanding. I understood tbat it didnt really matter to HMRC where the funds for the purchase arose but only where they were applied. At this point i think i had better check my assumptions with HMRC.
              Thanks

Comment

Check with an accountant first.
                I am confident that I'm right, and you don't want the first person you tell to be HMRC.

Comment

I've just had a conversation with someone at a well know firm of property income tax advisors and they had the same take on it as me, that if I raise finance on property A and use it to buy property B then its property B that has the qualifying relief and while I could sell property A with no effect, if I sell property B but don't repay the mortgage, I can no longer claim the tax relief on it. I was a bit confused about this initially but I think I will go with that advice and change my plans.

Comment

I'd be happy to be shown to be wrong.

Fundamentally the expense has to be wholly and exclusively for the business.
                    If you have a mortgage on property A and use the borrowed funds to buy property B which is let out, you'd still have to pass that test.

If property A isn't part of the business (let's say you or another family member lives in it) the expense fails the "wholly and exclusively" test.

If both property A and B were within the business, the funding would pass the test.
                    If property A was a commercial property, but still let for rent, it would pass the test.

Otherwise, everyone could (and would) mortgage their own home, buy a property, let it out and claim the interest on their residential mortgage as a business expense.

Comment

In terms of business accounting, loans aren't 'applied' to any property. When you get a loan you raise cash. You then use that cash to finance the business.

As you are not trading as a company, if you sell property B but don't repay the mortgage, I think that what will matter to HMRC is: What do you then do with the proceeds of the sale?
                      If you use them to buy another BTL property then, IMHO you can continue claiming the interests. But if you extract them from the business then you cannot.

Comment

Hi DPT57,

As of April 2017 you will be unable to claim back any loans as an allowable expense on any properties that are being rented out. The legal changes that are coming into affect are under section 24. It is worth you fully understanding the clauses as it is leaving every landlord which has mortgages on their portfolio in the minus numbers. You will be taxed on the full amount of income from every property. This takes full effect by 2021/22.

There is some useful property tax seminars in london and some good companies on the net if you look for commercial incentive trusts on google and anyone you find there would be able to advise fully in what you can do to save tax and prevent this new law changing your lifestyle. I would also take into account the capital gains taxations if you decide to sell. What is the reason for selling the other 3?

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                          In terms of business accounting, loans aren't 'applied' to any property. When you get a loan you raise cash. You then use that cash to finance the business.

As you are not trading as a company, if you sell property B but don't repay the mortgage, I think that what will matter to HMRC is: What do you then do with the proceeds of the sale?
                          If you use them to buy another BTL property then, IMHO you can continue claiming the interests. But if you extract them from the business then you cannot.
                          Ok, thanks for the comments about it being 'applied', that does help my understanding. Overall though, your comments do seem to support my view of events.

Thanks September19, I am aware of the section 24 tax changes. Actually 20% mortgage interest relief will still effectively be available to landlords even after 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                            Otherwise, everyone could (and would) mortgage their own home, buy a property, let it out and claim the interest on their residential mortgage as a business expense.
                            I may also be missing something here, but I don't see where the problem is with this. If the funds are being used for a buy-to-let property then surely it doesn't matter where they came from. If loan interest is being paid on funds that have been used for a business then why wouldn't they be a legitimate business expense?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                              This is exactly what we do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                                by Crunchie
                                I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
                                09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
                              • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                                by divadee
                                Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                                07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
                              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                                by divadee
                                We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
                                09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
                              • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                                by Advice seeker
                                Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
                                £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
                                15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
                              • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                                by Advice seeker
                                Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
                                09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
                              • Reply to CGT evidence
                                by Gordon999
                                Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
                                09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
                              • CGT evidence
                                by PaulRs1
                                Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                                08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
                              • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                                by jpkeates
                                You sound to have about £300,000 in gain, spread over 21 years, with 11 of them in a business.
                                You can feed the values into any CGT calculator around, but the CGT is likely to be £40-44k.

The longer it stays in the business, the lower the proportion of CGT will be (but the gain...
                                09-08-2020, 09:46 AM
                              • Reply to Self assessement questions
                                by Logical.Lean
                                It's 3750 each, if the house is jointly owned.

I've just read the gov.uk guidance, and I'd misread it before.

right I'll ignore it....
                                09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
                              • Self assessement questions
                                by Logical.Lean
                                I'm just doing my wife and my self assessment.

We own a property together in the a 90/10 % split.

The first question online is whether my income from property is greater than £1000.

No.

I've itemized all costs and interest etc on a spreadsheet...
                                08-08-2020, 15:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X