Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second home stamp duty query - fiance joining my mortgage on a new home

Hi all

Just trying to work out whether we'd need to pay any additional 'second home' stamp duty.

My fiance and I have been living together for 3 years; the house/mortgage is in my name only.

We plan to buy a new home, and will have a shared mortgage.

I own 2 BTL properties (with mortgages).

She owns one property (outright) which she also rents out.

If we buy a house together, it's been suggested that she may have to pay the 'second home' stamp duty, as she already owns a house.

My argument would be that the house she purchased (just less than a year ago) was purchased specifically for renting out; she's never lived in it; it's not 'her home'. She has lived with me for 3 years. She is 'replacing' her home.

Would HMRC see it this way though?

If they did...

-would her mortgaging her property onto a BTL property change anything?
    -what if we were married?
    -what if we re-mortgaged our current property first so that she's named on it?
    -I assume we could avoid by it simply being me named on the property? I'm just 'replacing' my main home... in my eyes I see she's simply doing the same though too...

Thanks

Ross

These are the kind of questions one gets when lawmakers of low IQ make laws while floating in the bathtub with the bubbles bubbling.

She is not replacing any home that she owns, and you are not yet married. I am not sure the lawmakers took engagement rings into account. You could get married, put her on your house as co-owner, and then sell it 3 days later. What a joke.

A couple in your position but renting their home, while both owning the same rental properties get slammed, so the whole thing is topsy turvy, and discriminates against the (relatively) worse off who pay more tax.

Comment

If you or fiance already have another property registered under your name on the day of registration of new property , then you have to pay the extra 3% sdlt.

If you live the property as owner occupier for a period to establish your residence in the property , you have up to 3 years to claim back the 3% ( don't take my word , check yourself ).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
        by AndrewDod
        Yes of course it is....
        09-08-2020, 23:39 PM
      • EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
        by Celibin
        Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
        09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
      • CGT evidence
        by PaulRs1
        Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
        08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
      • Reply to CGT evidence
        by AndrewDod
        Most of those things are not capital expenses anyway. Your probably already claimed then as expenses against rental income. Painting a place which you then live in certainly is not a capital expense, not an improvement (in CGT terms). Building a wall where there was not one before is an example of an...
        09-08-2020, 23:25 PM
      • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
        by Crunchie
        I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
        09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
      • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
        by divadee
        Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
        07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
      • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
        by divadee
        We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
        09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
      • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
        by Advice seeker
        Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
        £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
        15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
      • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
        by Advice seeker
        Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
        09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
      • Reply to CGT evidence
        by Gordon999
        Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
        09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
      Working...
      X