Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employing my wife to manage my flat

Hi there,

I own a flat hat I am about to start renting. Instead of paying an agent is it ok to pay my wife who is currently occasionally employed (self-employed) to manage it?

Can I pay her as much as wish to make my rental income more tax efficient? I understand that she would need to declare this income on her self-assessment but even so if I am allowed to pay here 50% of the rental income I receive then my tax liabilities would be less. Would that be ok?

Also one of my friends who is renting out 2 properties is declaring less from what he receives as he is paid in cash. I prefer to be paid via bank transfer as it less hassle but what are your views if I can be paid cash?

Thank you

Paying a letting agent to manage the rental of a flat costs about 10-15% of the monthly rent. So your wife can charge at most 15% of the rent.

Its better if you give your wife a beneficial interest in the property . You can consult a solicitor to produce a declaration of Trust which gives her a 90% beneficial interest in the property and keep your share to 10%.

Comment

Agree with Gordon (but your wife will then own part - if you get divorced, die etc. So bear that in mind. 50% of the rent in your scheme will be a sham, will appear to HMRC to be a sham, and you will get burned. An agent will be 15% or less, your wife will be 5% of less of the rent to be plausible, and even that might not be.

On your second point - well cheating and fraud is not good and that is what you are asking us - but receiving rent in cash is also a terrible idea. It leaves no audit trail. My ASTs say specifically that rent will not be accepted in cash, and if cash is the only option then they are to deposit that cash directly into my account. If you accept rent in cash what do you do when T fails to pay for three months and then produces spurious receipts from you (or even doesn't but claims he paid).

Comment

Originally posted by chris.flatley21 View Post
        Also one of my friends who is renting out 2 properties is declaring less from what he receives as he is paid in cash. I prefer to be paid via bank transfer as it less hassle but what are your views if I can be paid cash?
        You are friends with a fraud.
        Someone who is dishonest about one thing will always be dishonest in other ways.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
          by Crunchie
          I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
          09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
        • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
          by divadee
          Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
          07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
        • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
          by divadee
          We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
          09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
        • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
          by Advice seeker
          Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
          £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
          15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
        • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
          by Advice seeker
          Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
          09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
        • Reply to CGT evidence
          by Gordon999
          Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
          09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
        • CGT evidence
          by PaulRs1
          Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
          08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
        • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
          by jpkeates
          You sound to have about £300,000 in gain, spread over 21 years, with 11 of them in a business.
          You can feed the values into any CGT calculator around, but the CGT is likely to be £40-44k.

The longer it stays in the business, the lower the proportion of CGT will be (but the gain...
          09-08-2020, 09:46 AM
        • Reply to Self assessement questions
          by Logical.Lean
          It's 3750 each, if the house is jointly owned.

I've just read the gov.uk guidance, and I'd misread it before.

right I'll ignore it....
          09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
        • Self assessement questions
          by Logical.Lean
          I'm just doing my wife and my self assessment.

We own a property together in the a 90/10 % split.

The first question online is whether my income from property is greater than £1000.

No.

I've itemized all costs and interest etc on a spreadsheet...
          08-08-2020, 15:44 PM
        Working...
        X