CGT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There will most likely be some CGT to pay.

It is a complex calculation as from the point it was rented the CGT is calculated after 18 months from that point, then you have to consider other reliefs she may be entitled to. Without knowing what the potential capital gain is makes it hard to determine but I will use £100,000 as an assumptive example.

The gain of £100k over 5 years since 2011 equates to £20,000 per annum, as I mentioned the first 18 months are also CGT free so £20,000 times 3.5 years is £70,000. One relief if not already used is letting relief which is £40k reducing the taxable gain to £30k. An individual also has an annual exemption of £11,100 so the final potential taxation is £18,900. If she is a higher rate tax payer then the tax charge on this assumptive figure would be at 28% equal to £5,292.

As I mentioned this is assumptive but I hope it helps you calculate what may be owed.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
      I agree with Gordon999's calculation with one concern (see below). There is likely no CGT, but that is not because there has only been a small recent increase. In transactions of much higher value this becomes a big issue because people a) imagine that if the increase in price occurred when it was PPR and then they let out, that somehow the increase while PPR does not matter, and b) transfers from husband to wife have purchase value backdated and are not written off at death.

However Gordon, I wonder whether she will really be able to take PPR as 30 out of 35 years off her share. Although she was "resident" as you say, she was not an owner at all during much of this period of residence -- so can you count PPR time if you actually have no ownership at all. This applies to one of my properties and has long bothered me. In other words is PPR inherited on a spousal transfer???
      I don't think there is enough information to give the correct information. Personally I would take the date she became a joint owner as the start date for PPR but we are missing this date. If pre or post 83 I believe the two starting figures could be different.

Comment

Originally posted by September19 View Post
        There will most likely be some CGT to pay.

It is a complex calculation as from the point it was rented the CGT is calculated after 18 months from that point, then you have to consider other reliefs she may be entitled to. Without knowing what the potential capital gain is makes it hard to determine but I will use £100,000 as an assumptive example.

The gain of £100k over 5 years since 2011 equates to £20,000 per annum, as I mentioned the first 18 months are also CGT free so £20,000 times 3.5 years is £70,000. One relief if not already used is letting relief which is £40k reducing the taxable gain to £30k. An individual also has an annual exemption of £11,100 so the final potential taxation is £18,900. If she is a higher rate tax payer then the tax charge on this assumptive figure would be at 28% equal to £5,292.

As I mentioned this is assumptive but I hope it helps you calculate what may be owed.
        I disagree with this - it's not the gain since 2011 but it's apportioned over the total period of PPR (with consideration for the last 18 months of ownership) less lettings relief.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblepebble View Post
          Personally I would take the date she became a joint owner as the start date for PPR but we are missing this date.
          Yes that's what I think. Residence + ownership make for PPR, not residence alone (even if it is the marital home).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblepebble View Post
            I disagree with this - it's not the gain since 2011 but it's apportioned over the total period of PPR (with consideration for the last 18 months of ownership) less lettings relief.

I agree with your disagreement

Comment

Hi All,

I finally have the date that my mum became a joint owner! It was the 24th July 1989 and my parents remortgaged it for £25k, but we do not know the actual valuation at that date.

My dad bought the house on 23rd March 1972 for £4k. His PPR.

Dad died 11th June 2013. Mums name was registered with the deeds at the LR 27th February 2014 with a value of £115k.

The current property has been rented since May 2011 and has a current value of £125k.

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Again, THANK YOU all so much!

Comment

Jess3,

Your mum does not have any CGT to pay.

Comment

How do I work out the calculation now taking into account the year she became a joint owner?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                    by AndrewDod
                    Yes of course it is....
                    09-08-2020, 23:39 PM
                  • EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                    by Celibin
                    Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
                    09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
                  • Reply to CGT evidence
                    by AndrewDod
                    Most of those things are not capital expenses anyway. Your probably already claimed then as expenses against rental income. Painting a place which you then live in certainly is not a capital expense, not an improvement (in CGT terms). Building a wall where there was not one before is an example of an...
                    09-08-2020, 23:25 PM
                  • CGT evidence
                    by PaulRs1
                    Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                    08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
                  • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                    by Crunchie
                    I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
                    09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
                  • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                    by divadee
                    We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
                    09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
                  • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                    by divadee
                    Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                    07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
                  • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                    by Advice seeker
                    Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
                    09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
                  • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                    by Advice seeker
                    Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
                    £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
                    15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
                  • Reply to CGT evidence
                    by Gordon999
                    Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
                    09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
                  Working...
                  X