Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Boiler Tax Deductible?

Hi,

As part of my CP12 gas safety inspection, I have been advised that the boiler vessel at my rental property will soon fail and that I should now consider replacing the boiler before it does. The combination boiler is about 15 years old.

If I were to purchase a modern but like for like combination boiler to replace the soon to fail existing boiler, would this be tax deductible?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Andrew

Yes, it is allowable.
    Any replacement is likely to be an improvement, but replacing a boiler with another boiler is maintenance.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for that.

Apologies if this is a daft question but if I were to purchase the replacement boiler now (i.e. tax year 2016/2017), can I deduct from the tax due to HMRC for tax year 2015/2016?

Comment

No. The expense occurs when the purchase is made by the business (unless it is for a periodic charge, like insurance, which should - in a perfect world - be amortised over the tax year).
        So if you buy the item now, it is allowable against tax due for the 2016/17 tax year.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

That's what I suspected. Thanks for confirming.

Comment

You will not need to pay any tax on this. I have done this myself in the property I rent out. iv submitted my tax return and it was all fine.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X