Moving property into ltd Company

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Moving property into ltd Company


    I currently own a property outright with no charges which I paid £30,000 for back in April personally.

    It's currently rented out for £400pcm, thus I'll be declaring this on my self assessment.

    Wondering what the charges would be to transfer this into a limited company that I'd set up, how does it work as technically I'm transferring an asset worth £30,000

    I understand I can then rent this through the company, and earn upto £5,000 in dividends interest free.

    Any advice would be great.


    You need to work it through with an accountant/solicitor.

    There's the cost of setting up the company and the costs of the conveyancing.
    You need to factor in the costs of transferring everything back out and winding up the company.

    It's not a huge amount of complication, but it can be more costly than the tax you're going to save (depending on all kinds of factors, like your income tax rate).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      If the property is held under own name , the rental profit £400 x 12 months = 4800 is taxed with job income at your income tax rate 20% or 40%.

      If the property is transferred to hold under company name , the company has to pay 20% corporation tax on £4800 = £960. leaving £3840 payable in dividend to you.

      Not worth the hassle of running a company which has annual reporting obligations to Companies House.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by Trevor62
        Thank-you for the link.

        Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

        Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

        Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

        Because I am an old dad and my...
        19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by mpppen
        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

        I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
      • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Ollyn

        I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

        I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

        From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

        18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Gordon999
        You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

        The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
        19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by ash72
        You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
        18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by theartfullodger
        You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

        What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
        18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by Gordon999
        The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

        If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

        If your annual gross...
        18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
      • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by banner257
        Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
        18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by jpkeates
        It's £1,000 each.

        Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
        18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
      • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
        by VIKKI99
        Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
        The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
        Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
        18-05-2022, 01:07 AM