Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on house

Hello

I wondered if anyone here would be able to see if I'd need to pay CGT on a house that I'm about to sell?

I purchased the house in 2000 for £37,000

Got married, had kids & moved out in 2011 and rented the house out, paid tax on rental income via self assessment each year.

It has been valued at around £110,000

If I get the asking price then I'll have made a gain of £73,000, it's the allowances and letting relief I'm struggling to get my head around.

The house is in my name only. I've been in full time employment since 1996 (if that makes a difference).

Many thanks for the help

Due to PPR and Letting relief you have a very small gain based on the rough dates/figures you have provided. However you will not have a CGT liability:
    Purchase 37,000 14/06/2000
    Disposal 110,000 14/06/2016
    Total Gain 73,000
    PRR 56,651 149 192
    Capital Gain 16,349
    Lett Relief 15,978 Qual Days 1279
    Net Gain 371
    CG Allow 11,100
    CGT 0 0

Regards Peter

Comment

Pete...many thanks for your help, much obliged.
      It's making sense now that it's broken down into its components.

Comment

CGT on house

Hello

I posted on here a while ago asking for some help with working out my CGT liability on a house I was thinking of selling. TaxationPete very kindly worked it out for me. I have now sold the house and was wondering Pete if you'd be so kind as to show me a breakdown with the accurate figures below? I'm not sure if any of the rules have changed since I last asked.

I purchased a terraced house on June 16th 2000 for £37,000

In Dec 2010 purchased a larger home requiring some work (this became my primary home in May 2011 when we moved in after works were complete).

I rented the old terrace house out from 3rd Jun 2011 until 26th Feb 2016 , paid tax on rental income via self assessment each year.

I sold the terrace house on 01 Jul 2016 for £107,000 (£105,218 after estate agent and solicitors fees).

The terrace house was in my name only. I've been in full time employment since 1996 (if that makes a difference).

Many thanks in advance for your time, much appreciated.

Comment

Two related threads have been merged.
          I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Purchase 37,000 16/06/2000
            Disposal 105,218 01/07/2016
            Total Gain 68,218
            PRR 52,940 149 192 (this is the period you have lived in the property plus 18 mnths and your total period of ownership)
            Capital Gain 15,278
            Lett Relief 13,752 Qual Days 1181
            Net Gain 1,526
            CG Allow 11,100
            CGT 0 0
            CGT 0 0

CGT Bill 0

So no CGT liability that is not covered by your CG Allowance

Read HS 283 on the HMRC web site. Regards Peter

Comment

Fantastic Pete...thanks again for this.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Hi Andrew
                First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
              • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                by jpkeates
                Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                jpkeates
                There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                by jpkeates
                I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Morning Andrew
                Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                by AndrewDod
                As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
                I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
                b] As property purchased before...
                08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
                Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
                08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
              Working...
              X