Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New landlord advice - CGT & maintanence offset tax

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to buy a new house and rent my existing. I have 2 questions.

1. If I rent my existing house for 12 months and then sell it within the next 6 months I can reclaim the 2nd home stamp. My question is whether I will need to pay CGT as I have rented it??

2. I will rent the house unfurnished but I need to do some maintenance repairs before renting,
    A. Paint the soffits and facia.
    B. Replace a threadbare carpet
    C. Replace a 3 way CH/HT valve
    D. Remove an over grown tree in the garden.
    My question is, are these all approved expenses? Can I subtract the costs from the tax I'm due to pay? Is it ok to action these before tenants move in so that I can still claim against tax??

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

1 - You will not have rented it for long enough to attract any CGT - you have an 18 month allowance, so the CGT bill will be zero.
    2 - All of those are allowable expenses (you will find conflicting advice about carpets, as the rules have changed recently), they are treated for tax as though they are incurred on the dat your first tenant moves in.
    Note that you can't claim for your own time/labour (or tools), so if you are doing the work, it will be materials only.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have read many conflicting stores regarding carpet too but I'm assuming if I can prove the carpet is not fit for purpose with photos and can provide receipts I don't see why it would be an issue. I would have professionals carrying out the maitanence work for me.

Comment

Until this April carpets were excluded because they were furnishings and claiming for furnishings wasn't allowed in unfurnished property.
        That has now changed (even though the law to make the change is not in effect, as far as I can see).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You should also bear in mind that things can go wrong with this plan. I'm sure everyone would like to get tax relief on refurbing their home prior to sale, but we now have a new Chancellor and tax rules could change. In addition you could easily get a tenant that trashes the place costing you £many to put right or refuses to leave at the end of their tenancy, or there could be a delay in the sale of your existing property that takes you over the 18 month limit for reclaiming the additional SDLT. Its probably worth running the numbers on different scenarios to make sure this is really worth it. For me, with all the risks and complexities of letting at the moment, it wouldn't be.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
            by reluctantlandlord1976
            Hi Andrew
            First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
            08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
            by jpkeates
            Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
            08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
          • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
            by reluctantlandlord1976
            I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
            06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
            08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
            by reluctantlandlord1976
            jpkeates
            There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
            08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
            by jpkeates
            I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
            It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
            08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
            by reluctantlandlord1976
            Morning Andrew
            Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
            I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
            08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
            by AndrewDod
            As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
            The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
            The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
            08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
            by reluctantlandlord1976
            Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
            I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
            b] As property purchased before...
            08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
            by reluctantlandlord1976
            Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
            Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
            08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
          Working...
          X