Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Properties purchased for less than £40k

Hi

As you all know, new higher SDLT rates came into force in April for buyers of 'additional' properties. The 3% surcharge is not payable if the 2nd property purchased is LESS than £40k. However, the rules do not make reference to those who own an existing property bought for less than £40k who intend to buy a second property for more than £40k. Does the new surcharge apply to those people or is the 1st house bought for less than £40k not counted as an 'additional' property?

There are examples on the HMRC for scenarios like this which state that if you own a property bought for less than £40k, this is not counted as an additional property. However, when I use the HMRC SDLT calculator, it doesn't ask me what my current property is worth just the value of the property that I intend to purchase. If it is above £40k, then it says I must pay full the new surcharge.

I have called HMRC who are giving me conflicting advice.

Any advice from other forum members would be hugely appreciated.

There's nothing I have read that suggests that the value of the "first" property owned has any bearing on the SDLT payable for a second property.
    While that's a little unfair perhaps, the £40k limit was a specific exclusion, and there's no requirement for "reciprocal" allowances.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have found the following article on HMRC's website. It's paragraph 2.15 and Example 36 which states that properties below £40k whether bought first or 2nd are not included for the 3% surcharge-

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ial-properties

Comment

Hi Marksmith1
        I believe you are referring to Example 36 in the HMRC document, having read this several times I am drawn to the conclusion that if the present property is the primary residence and was purchased for below £40k then the second property being purchased above £40k then the 3% Premium doesn't apply but if the below £40k was not the primary residence then it could be argued that the premium would apply.
        An interesting question and one which does require a response from a solicitor with Conveyancing expertise.

Comment

[QUOTE=Marksmith1;598452]I have found the following article on HMRC's website. It's paragraph 2.15 and Example 36 which states that properties below £40k whether bought first or 2nd are not included for the 3% surcharge-

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ial-properties[/QUOTE

Under 2.2 it says :

The higher rates will not apply if at the end of the day of the transaction an individual owns only one residential property, irrespective of the intended use of the property.

So if you already have a property registered in your name ( whether 100% or just 1% under joint name ) , you should expect to pay the higher rate of SDLT on next purchase.

Comment

You are indeed correct but if you follow down to example 36 the facts get blurred.

Comment

The problem is that there's still no finance act, so all we have are proposals and worked examples.

However, the latest (that I can find) HMRC guidance notes (16 March) are quite specific.
              https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ial-properties

There are four criteria that have to be met to trigger the higher rate of SDLT.
              3.1 The higher rates will apply to the purchase of a major interest in a single dwelling by an individual, if at the end of the day of purchase Conditions A to D are met8:
               Condition A - the chargeable consideration is £40,000 or more;
               Condition B - the dwelling is not subject to lease which has more than 21 years to run on the date of purchase;
               Condition C - the purchaser owns an interest in another dwelling which has a market value of £40,000 or more and is not subject to a lease which has more than 21 years to run at the date of purchase of the new dwelling; and
               Conditions D - the dwelling being purchased is not replacing the purchaser’s only or main residence.
              3.2 If any of Conditions A to D are not met the higher rates will not apply to the purchase.
              There's more detail elsewhere about condition C, but in the OPs position condition C is not met and therefore the extra SDLT trigger is not pulled.

I'm not 100% certain this is correct in the absence of a completed finance act, proof that this is THE definitive HMRC document (the text detailing condition B can't be right and there's a massive typo on page 5), but it would indicate to me that this is a valid interpretation.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What is your conveyancing solicitor's position on this?

Comment

If it's anything other than total confusion, we want to know their name!
                  8-)

Comment

I spoke to my conveyancing solicitor and the HMRC who appear as clueless as each another on the new SDLT rules for the purchase of additional properties.

When I explained to the HMRC I owed a property which I purchased for less than £40k, the call handler said I would still have to pay the higher rate surcharge. When I drew his attention to Example 36 of HMRC's guidance and question 7 on page 25 of the further guidamce from HMRC, he then said he agreed with me that I didn't have to pay the higher rate SDLT. I mean incompetent isn't the word for these people. I seems no one knows the ins and outs of the new rules.

As I still can't be 100% sure what my tax liabilities are, I need to make contingency plans in case I am liable for the extra SDLT. Does anyone think I could limit my SDLT exposure by doing any of the following:

1. Buy new property through a limited company?
                    2. Transfer my existing property to a limited company and purchase second property in my own name
                    3. Gift whole or part to a family member- as I bought my existing property from a local housing association, I am unable to sell it for another 5 years- clause within the purchase contract

I know Osbourne has done his best to close most loopholes and HMRC are keeping "a keen eye" on this according to their website.

Thanks

Comment

Having initially read the consultation documents (and therefore being wrong in my first response), having re-researched it I am pretty sure you don't need to pay the 3%.
                      What I would do (personally) is proceed on this basis.

If the SDLT was to include the 3% surcharge, would I go ahead anyway?
                      If so, I would pay the non-surcharged version as per the end of the conversation with HMRC (who are, ironically, not in a position to give such advice, as they have no liability if it turns out to be incorrect).
                      Wait...

1 - That would change the SDLT picture, but you would need to walk through the other consequences, as that changes the tax position completely. It may also affect the cost of any borrowing.
                      2 - As 1 - however, the Housing Association would say no.
                      3 - You can't gift it either, as that would be a disposal and the Housing Association would object.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                        by reluctantlandlord1976
                        Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
                        I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
                        b] As property purchased before...
                        08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
                      • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                        by reluctantlandlord1976
                        I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                        06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                        by reluctantlandlord1976
                        Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
                        Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
                        08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
                        by reluctantlandlord1976
                        JP Keates
                        I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
                        07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
                        by reluctantlandlord1976
                        JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
                        07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
                        If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
                        07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
                        by AndrewDod
                        The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
                        07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
                        by AndrewDod
                        You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
                        Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
                        Declared vale at probate _________
                        Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
                        07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
                        by reluctantlandlord1976
                        We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
                        07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
                        by AndrewDod
                        Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
                        07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
                      Working...
                      X