Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of trust 100/0%, Private Residence Relief and Letting Relief

Hello,

This started out as a simple question, however on investigation there are implications I had not considered.
    I do hope you can provide some guidance and appreciate professional services are a must.
    But as a prelude to consulting a solicitor/accountant I would like to work through my thinking with you all.

First my situation,
    Wife and I are joint tenants for a property we currently let. Two years ago the property was our principle residence for the preceding 12 years and since then has a BTL mortgage in both names.
    Rental income is equal to 15K per year before expenses.
    Wife does not work and has no use of her income tax allowance, I work and pay 40%.
    Considering I trust her with my life and assets and see no issue with changing the beneficial owner for income in the property so she can take advance of her income tax allowance.

Objective: Maintain legal ownership between us - Wife and I remain registered owners with Land Registry and distribute the income such that it is all or as near as, received by wife for income tax purposes.

Am I missing a step....?

Change Beneficial Ownership in favour of wife - Requires the following?

1) Solicitor to create a Deed of Trust - Share proportions to be decided? - 100/0% or 99/1% subject to answers to questions below.

2) Change from Joint Tenants to Tenants in Common - Apply for a Form A Restriction (Submit SEV Form to Land Registry)

3) Declare Beneficial interest in property and income to HMRC (Submit Form 17 to HMRC)

Questions:

A) Does Form 17 declaration to HMRC need to specify and match the proportional shares defined in the DOT?

B) Can I split the share 100/0% and have both names registered as tenants in common?

C) If we specify a 100/0% DOT split and declare this to HMRC, what of the following:

D) Implication for mortgage provider, current mortgage and future re-mortgage in BOTH names (as now tenants in common)

E) Private Residence Relief - If we come to sell, I will no longer have any beneficial interest in the property, will the chargeable gain still exclude the time for which my wife (and possibility myself?) lived in the property and the following 18 months?

F) Letting Relief - Would any subsequent chargeable gain still qualify for lettings relief?

G) CGT - Only my wife will be able to use her GCT allowance on the remaining gain?

Thanks in advanced for the wisdom and wit I prepare to receive!

Meta

A) Yes, that's what it's for.
    B) No, the person with a 0% "share" would own nothing. You'd want 99:1
    D) You'd need to ask the mortgage lender, if the mortgage is a join mortgage they will possibly be OK, as you're both on the hook for everything. Some might, but you'll almost certainly find that their terms and conditions don't allow you to change the beneficial ownership without their permission, and other posters have been told no.
    E) The PRR will be reduced, as your half of the allowance will be lost. However, some time before you came to sell you would change the deed of trust to restore your "share".
    F) As E
    G) Yes, but note the answer to E.

Steps one and two are backwards, you need the ownership split to allocate shares.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates.

So 99/1% and permission from lender is the way forward.
      I've been quoted 350+vat for the DOT.

Is this reasonable and are there cheaper alternatives?

Meta

Comment

The cost will vary depending where you are located and how complex the process is.

I'd probably pay that if I trusted the solicitor (and don't forget it's probably an allowable business expense).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Metanet View Post
          I've been quoted 350+vat for the DOT.
          That's what we paid recently. We were also quoted a lot more from other solicitors.

Comment

Our deed of trust was part of the conveyancing costs which came to the same fixed price agreed, before I told them we needed a deed of trust about a week into starting the purchase. It's 2 pages of generic legal speak, which they have on the shelf, just change the names so £350 sounds expensive.

If it includes step 2, (which is actually the new step 1) then it would make more sense, as they are actually doing something which probably will take 30 mins of effort.

Comment

What you are charged in a solicitor's bill is not just for the solicitor's time spent on the job, but has to cover the disbursements including office rent and rates, receptionist , solicitor's secretary , the firm's book- keeping staff , lavatory cleaner and senior partner's motor car.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by jpkeates
                You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
                There is no option not to tell HMRC....
                09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
              • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                by Gordon999
                I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
                09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Hi Andrew
                First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                by jpkeates
                Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                jpkeates
                There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                by jpkeates
                I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Morning Andrew
                Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                by AndrewDod
                As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
              Working...
              X