Newby Tax inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newby Tax inquiry

We are planning on letting out our house and buying a new property. I am a higher rate tax payer but my wife is not. A colleague at work said I should use my wifes (lower) tax liability by getting the rent paid to her. Can this be done, it sounds a bit illegal, if not is it common practice?

Many thanks in advance.

Talk to a solicitor.

You can buy the property together as tenants in common (assuming that works for any lending).
    You can either assign the proportions of ownership then (which is inflexible) or then get a deed of trust which allocates the ownership as you wish (say 1% you, 99% your wife).
    You send a notification to HMRC (form 17) and that's all good.

Not illegal, very common.

You want to talk it through with an accountant, because you might find the proportions should be fine tuned.
    For example some of the costs of preparing the property for rent are (generally) allowable against tax, which is worth more to you as a higher rate tax payer than to your wife.
    So a bit of modelling might be necessary.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Many thanks.
      Is there any potential problems, I mean if we split up, am I screwed?

Comment

Yes, there would be issues if you split up.
        Because you would have to make the assumption that your wife would then not agree to end the deed of trust and want her share of the sales proceeds as per the deed.

Hence the need for legal advice.
        If your wife has been helping pay for the property in any way, she would have a claim to beneficial ownership in a divorce anyway, so your solicitor might advise a split consistent with that.

Talk to an accountant first anyway, the timing of things can be important and it might be better done in a year's time than now (it depends on a lot of factors).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Many thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Selling part share
            by Bill31
            5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or...
            31-03-2020, 13:41 PM
          • Reply to Selling part share
            by AndrewDod
            Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid...
            31-03-2020, 18:19 PM
            by Bill31
            Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
            I ask because...
            31-03-2020, 17:35 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB...
            31-03-2020, 17:09 PM
            by Bill31
            Ok thanks.
            So as i already did a gift of the property a few years back. Do i have to to pay cgt on the rest of the property when i gift it over or sell it to son as cash?...
            31-03-2020, 16:33 PM
            by jpkeates
            If you gift someone a property (or part of one) and carry on living there, the gift has reservations.
            So you either need to move out or start paying market rate rent to live there to end that situation.

Any transaction done at an undervalue is treated by HMRC as being at market value,...
            31-03-2020, 15:52 PM
            by Bill31
            Grob meaning gift with reservation.

What if the purchase is below market value. The share is worth a market value of 250k but i can only afford to pay 200k. How will hmrc view it?

In another view i already made a gift of the property to him as joint tenant, how is the best...
            31-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            by jpkeates
            I don't know what a grob is in this context.

It was a gift with reservation, so, unless you are paying rent, the property is still in your estate for IHT purposes.

As long as your son doesn't live in the new property, I don't see that POAT would apply, but it's not something...
            31-03-2020, 14:52 PM
          • Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
            by mrdiy88
            Thanks this will really help us

Much appreciated and learning plenty this first time round....
            31-03-2020, 13:40 PM
          • New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
            by mrdiy88
            Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
            2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
            3) A new bathroom,...
            28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
          Working...
          X