SPV Ltd Company, Mortgages and Shareholders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPV Ltd Company, Mortgages and Shareholders.

Hi I have set up an SPV Ltd co for a property purchase. We are now attempting to get a mortgage.
    Currently the ltd co has 4 ordinary shares worth £1 each.
    The issue is that I would like to sell 2 of the shares to a friend/business partner to invest in 50% of the deposit. This parson is Canadian and the mort company do not like this. The brokers have said that the Ltd company can take out the mortgage with just me as the shareholder/liable person and then sell the shares to the Canadian after the deal is done.

Hmmmm. I am a bit cautious/worried about this.

1) Is the mort company Ok with me selling shares?
    2) Is there a tax implication - ie I want to sell half the shares for half of the deposit and just get my money back tax free, as really all I am doing is just kind of bridging the purchase?

Is there a better way to go about this?

Many thanks in advance.

May I suggest that your broker establishes the attitude of the lender. Whether the sale of share is done before or post mortgage completion the friend will hold more than 20% of the company , a breakpoint which normally triggers a requirement of lenders for the shareholder to give Personal Guarantees; if he has a permanent right to reside and has a good credit profile that shouldn't be a problem if indeed he is prepared to give PG's but if he is domicile do in Canada or elsewhere then that could prove to be a fundamental stumbling block particularly if the sale occurs post Completion as it might prevent refinancing of the property. So please get your broker to do his job properly and establish the facts for the interests of his client.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply, I think your suggestion this is the correct course, I guess I just needed a sounding board/sanity check. Cheers.

Comment

No problem , sometimes it is easy to forget that just because someone is a shareholder and not a director that this puts them out of court so far as a lender might require their Personal Guarantees. Some lenders kick off at 20% and others at 25% but it is always assumed that the Directors have the great share stake.

Hope all goes well with your plans.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Selling part share
          by AndrewDod
          Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid...
          31-03-2020, 18:19 PM
        • Selling part share
          by Bill31
          5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or...
          31-03-2020, 13:41 PM
          by Bill31
          Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
          I ask because...
          31-03-2020, 17:35 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB...
          31-03-2020, 17:09 PM
          by Bill31
          Ok thanks.
          So as i already did a gift of the property a few years back. Do i have to to pay cgt on the rest of the property when i gift it over or sell it to son as cash?...
          31-03-2020, 16:33 PM
          by jpkeates
          If you gift someone a property (or part of one) and carry on living there, the gift has reservations.
          So you either need to move out or start paying market rate rent to live there to end that situation.

Any transaction done at an undervalue is treated by HMRC as being at market value,...
          31-03-2020, 15:52 PM
          by Bill31
          Grob meaning gift with reservation.

What if the purchase is below market value. The share is worth a market value of 250k but i can only afford to pay 200k. How will hmrc view it?

In another view i already made a gift of the property to him as joint tenant, how is the best...
          31-03-2020, 15:11 PM
          by jpkeates
          I don't know what a grob is in this context.

It was a gift with reservation, so, unless you are paying rent, the property is still in your estate for IHT purposes.

As long as your son doesn't live in the new property, I don't see that POAT would apply, but it's not something...
          31-03-2020, 14:52 PM
        • New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
          by mrdiy88
          Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
          2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
          3) A new bathroom,...
          28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
        • Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
          by mrdiy88
          Thanks this will really help us

Much appreciated and learning plenty this first time round....
          31-03-2020, 13:40 PM
        Working...
        X