Income tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income tax question

If I bought a property for 60k cash and spent 5 k on refurb and deducted the 5k against income. Then the property was worth 100k. if I re - mortgaged the property on a 75% LTV so took 75k out which would be a 10k profit am I right in saying there is no income tax due on the 10k. The tax due would be CGT when selling ?

Hi Philip
    My understanding is that the £5k costs are considered capital expenditure and not income and can only be used on disposal before CGT is calculated.

Comment

Exactly what I thought but was then advised that expenses before let are treated as deemed on first day of let so allowable.

Need clarification on this to now .

Comment

It depends what the costs were.

If they are betterment, they're capital, if they're maintenance/repairs, they're operating costs (and allowable against income).

Generally speaking most replacement of things in a property will include an element of improvement (which HMRC accept), so it's a question of detail and art.
        If you added a new bathroom, it's probably capital, if you replaced the units in an existing bathroom it's probably operational.

You make your best and reasonable judgement and be prepared to justify it.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
          by mrdiy88
          Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
          2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
          3) A new bathroom,...
          28-03-2020, 15:56 PM
        • Reply to New Landlord - Self Assessment Help
          by jpkeates
          There are two types of expenses allowable for tax for a landlord, operational and capital.
          Operational expenses are allowed against income and capital expenses deducted from any capital gain for CGT on disposal.

A lot of the expenses that you have listed would be at least partially...
          28-03-2020, 16:13 PM
        • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
          by Claymore
          Hi

My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
          18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
        • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
          by Claymore
          jpkeates,

That's lovely, thank you so much!
          24-03-2020, 01:50 AM
          by jpkeates
          That's another reason to use a trust,
          The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust...
          23-03-2020, 14:32 PM
          by Claymore
          Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!...
          23-03-2020, 13:53 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax confusion
          by FluffyBunny
          Hi

We are considering selling our second home and wonder if anyone can help.

Background: My husband bought the home in 1988 for £44,000. Over the years it has been rented out for 1 year, empty for 2 years and rented out again for the last 3 years. Up until 3 years ago it...
          17-03-2020, 17:38 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
          by FluffyBunny
          Thank you jpkeates, very helpful
          23-03-2020, 12:51 PM
          by jpkeates
          Your main residence is the place that you live. If you live in more than one place, you need to tell HMRC which is your primary residence and update them if it changes.
          Most people only have one residence, so it's just a matter of fact.
          Based on what you posted, it was your main residence...
          23-03-2020, 10:03 AM
          by FluffyBunny
          Thanks for the reply. Can anyone help with my other questions please?
          22-03-2020, 16:43 PM
        Working...
        X