How can a Dormant company receive a premium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can a Dormant company receive a premium?

Hello,
    A limited company is going to grant a lease for a small premium just to cover its expenses, and there will be no rent. Can this company declare itself Dormant to Companies House and HMRC?

Thanks!

No. A company which engages in a transaction is not dormant.

Comment

Right, but is there no way around it, like someone receiving the payment on behalf of the company?

Comment

Originally posted by luketj View Post
        Right, but is there no way around it, like someone receiving the payment on behalf of the company?
        No, because the company still has the benefit of the money. Apart from the company is not dormant if it is granting a lease.

Comment

Don't many dormant companies have lessees?
          And, having the benefit of money is not a transaction, is it?

Comment

Filing of annual accounts are required by Companies House and the accounts filed this year will be reporting for last year.

So your company could be dormant last year ( no reportable transactions ) but trading this this year due to receipt of some payment.

http://www.cheapaccounting.co.uk/blo...rmant-company/

Comment

Neither is a promise to pay, for example the lessee owes the company the premium, but the company allows the debt to continue unpaid.

Comment

Hello,
                A limited company is going to grant a lease for a small premium just to cover its expenses, and there will be no rent. Can this company declare itself Dormant to Companies House and HMRC?

Thanks!
                No. And No.

Originally posted by luketj
                is there no way around it
                No.

Originally posted by luketj
                And, having the benefit of money is not a transaction
                But what gets it the benefit of the money is a transaction.

Comment

I'm finding this difficult to believe.
                  Why cant the lease say "a premium of £1000 payable to... someone else other than the company"?

Comment

I'm finding this difficult to believe.
                    OK. But the law does not depend on whether you believe it or not.

Why cant the lease say "a premium of £1000 payable to... someone else other than the company"?
                    A lease can say that. But then the company granting it will have carried out a significant accounting transaction and so not be dormant. There may also be a whole heap of tax issues with the money going to someone else (CGT on disposal of lease at deemed market value that you know all about, settlements legislation, distributions legislation, employment income, disguised remuneration, chargeable lifetime transfer and so on).

Comment

Muggsy, I'm too scared to notify them that a lease has been granted because of the tax bill that could hit me! I cant find sure information about the tax implications for land taken by adverse possession. No information anywhere!

Comment

And it's not the law I'm finding difficult to believe. You have not quoted me any law. Is there a law that says "A dormant company cannot authorise a third party to receive a payment in its behalf"? Or can you show me a law that says "A dormant company cannot defer a payment from a debtor until a future time"?

Comment

luketj

Are you a director or shareholder of this dormant company ?

Comment

Please forgive my apparent ignorance of this topic but where on earth is the advice which has been sought and received from the accountants and possibly supported by the company's legal representatives. It is their guidance which needs taking on board to ensure that you have complied with legal and tax implications.

Comment

And it's not the law I'm finding difficult to believe. You have not quoted me any law. Is there a law that says "A dormant company cannot authorise a third party to receive a payment in its behalf"? Or can you show me a law that says "A dormant company cannot defer a payment from a debtor until a future time"?
                              That's not how any law works. You don't have a law saying "luketj can't phone John while driving a red car on the Western Way after lunch".

If tax is what interests you then have a look at sections 8, 21, 17, 18 and 240 and Schedule 8 TCGA 1992 (in that order).

I'm too scared to notify them that a lease has been granted because of the tax bill that could hit me!
                              Do it bit of googling of "tax fraud", "tax evasion", "tax-geared penalties" and let us know whether you feel more comfortable. If you do, then google section 32(1)(a) Theft Act 1968.

Then you should get some proper advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
                                by Claymore
                                jpkeates,

That's lovely, thank you so much!
                                24-03-2020, 01:50 AM
                              • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
                                by Claymore
                                Hi

My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
                                18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                That's another reason to use a trust,
                                The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust...
                                23-03-2020, 14:32 PM
                                by Claymore
                                Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!...
                                23-03-2020, 13:53 PM
                              • Capital Gains Tax confusion
                                by FluffyBunny
                                Hi

We are considering selling our second home and wonder if anyone can help.

Background: My husband bought the home in 1988 for £44,000. Over the years it has been rented out for 1 year, empty for 2 years and rented out again for the last 3 years. Up until 3 years ago it...
                                17-03-2020, 17:38 PM
                              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax confusion
                                by FluffyBunny
                                Thank you jpkeates, very helpful
                                23-03-2020, 12:51 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                Your main residence is the place that you live. If you live in more than one place, you need to tell HMRC which is your primary residence and update them if it changes.
                                Most people only have one residence, so it's just a matter of fact.
                                Based on what you posted, it was your main residence...
                                23-03-2020, 10:03 AM
                                by FluffyBunny
                                Thanks for the reply. Can anyone help with my other questions please?
                                22-03-2020, 16:43 PM
                              • Reply to Tax Return or Letter?
                                by Claymore
                                Ha, bet you are. Lots of worried people.

I haven't been totally absent, I have dipped in to read your threads quite a few times. Love your updates. Take care.
                                20-03-2020, 16:05 PM
                              • Tax Return or Letter?
                                by Claymore
                                Hi

I remember there being a rental income limit where you don't need to actually complete a property tax return. Instead of completing the tax return you can write a letter to the tax office declaring the income and net profit. Is this still in practise?

Also, if you do...
                                17-02-2020, 16:41 PM
                              Working...
                              X