first time tax questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time tax questions

first year of renting and im confused by what i can and cannot claim as an expense. First of all white goods, i understand you can now claim for replacing white goods but is that from 2016 onwards or also for the past tax year?
    I bought a house for the exclusive purpose of renting it. The white goods were already in place, i have now had to replace the fridge for the past tax year in an unfurnished property, can i claim for that?
    Boiler replacement, i understand you can replace but not upgrade the boiler. The system was leaking and the pipes were not correctly installed, it was a cyclinder and system boiler system. I replaced it with a combi, would that count as repair or upgrade? The system was unusable and combi was the cheapest replacement option.

Thanks.

The tax return for reporting income from property is SA105 which has a guide to explain what is allowed as an expenses against rental income.

I suggest you download the SA105 Notes for 2015 and 2016 on allowable expenses.

Comment

The fridge would not have been allowed last year, but would be allowed since the start of this tax year.

The boiler would be allowed, any replacement of something old with something modern will have an element of improvement, but it's not betterment.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks. But im confused if the fridge can be claimed for this year even though i paid for it during last tax year?

Comment

No, it is subject to the contemporary rules, so it's not allowed.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
            by JK0
            The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
            27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
          • Will they raise taxes again?
            by JK0
            My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
            27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
          • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
            by Neelix
            14 EICRs isn’t going to dent the income from 14 properties

its the void periods that cost you...
            27-11-2021, 22:37 PM
          • Reply to Corporation Tax
            by Thurrock1
            jpkeates,

the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
            25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
            by jpkeates
            If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
            The...
            24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
          • Corporation Tax
            by Thurrock1
            Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
            My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
            He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
            23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
            by theartfullodger
            IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
            24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
            by Thurrock1
            Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
            24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
            by Gordon999
            The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
            24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
          • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
            by Neelix
            In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
            18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
          Working...
          X