CGT Loss, Self Assessment and Jointly Owned Property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT Loss, Self Assessment and Jointly Owned Property

    I sold my property with a loss of £9000, after costs of buying and selling have been taken into account. I have just started to complete my self assessment form for 15/16 and have a few queries.

    The property is jointly owned. When completing the CGT worksheet, do I halve all the figures and then my husband also provides the same information on his return, the same as we do currently for declaring the rental income?

    Be declaring a loss on the worksheet, is this enough for it to be registered with HRMC so it can be offset against a gain in a later year?

    I have never lived in the property. It is asking if I would make "an election". I take it that there is no relief I need to claim? The property was bought purely as a BTL property a few years ago.

    Can I claim the fee I paid to the mortgage company to redeem the mortgage as a selling cost?

    I still own another property which there will be a CGT gain in the future. How long can I carry the loss forward to be offset against the eventual gain?

    Between my last tenant leaving and the property selling, i incurred a few hundred pounds of costs on Council Tax, gas, electric, small repair jobs and mileage. Can any of these be claimed either on the CGT worksheet or as an expense on the SA property form?

    Thanks in Anticipation.

    Yes, you enter half the capital gain on your return and your husband enter half gain on his return.

    Are you submitting a SA108 Capital Gains Summary Form ? There should be a box to enter your capital loss which is should be half the loss figure on the worksheet. There is no time limit on carrying losses forward but you should make and keep a copy of the information you submit in your returns in case the tax records are "lost" through computer breakdown.

    The penalty fee paid to mortgage lender for early terminating fixed period deal and miscellaneous expenses incurred before exchange of sale contract are not capital gains expenses and should be charged against rental income from other BTL.


      Thank you for taking the time to reply.

      I am completing the CGT section within the SA form and have entered the information on the CGT worksheet.

      The mortgage fee is just a normal redemption fee for ending the mortgage, it is not on a fixed period deal. As the Council Tax, electricity ad gas were incurred after the property was no longer available for rent, I presumed these could not be included as an expense on my property section of the SA form.


        The mortgage fee is a business expense, incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
        If the other costs pass that test, i.e. they were incurred in the few weeks after the tenant had left while you sold the property, they're allowable.

        No one expects you to sell the property the day after the last tenant leaves in the state it was left in, you needed to carry out some maintenance, viewings etc and some of those costs are an unavoidable consequence of that.
        If it's months and months while you decided what to do or lived there, that would be different.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to CGT and income
          by slopemaster
          Thank you all
          06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
        • CGT and income
          by slopemaster
          Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
          06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by Lesney Park

          You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
          06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by jpkeates
          You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
          When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
          06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by theartfullodger
          60 days not 2 months.
          06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by DoricPixie
          How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
          04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
        • SDLT and first time buyers
          by mpppen
          Hello again.

          Just wondering if someone can advise.

          If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

          If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
          03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by jpkeates
          If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
          It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

          There's obviously...
          04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by AndrewDod
          Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
          04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by mpppen

          Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

          It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
          04-07-2022, 13:55 PM