CGT Loss, Self Assessment and Jointly Owned Property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT Loss, Self Assessment and Jointly Owned Property

    I sold my property with a loss of £9000, after costs of buying and selling have been taken into account. I have just started to complete my self assessment form for 15/16 and have a few queries.

    The property is jointly owned. When completing the CGT worksheet, do I halve all the figures and then my husband also provides the same information on his return, the same as we do currently for declaring the rental income?

    Be declaring a loss on the worksheet, is this enough for it to be registered with HRMC so it can be offset against a gain in a later year?

    I have never lived in the property. It is asking if I would make "an election". I take it that there is no relief I need to claim? The property was bought purely as a BTL property a few years ago.

    Can I claim the fee I paid to the mortgage company to redeem the mortgage as a selling cost?

    I still own another property which there will be a CGT gain in the future. How long can I carry the loss forward to be offset against the eventual gain?

    Between my last tenant leaving and the property selling, i incurred a few hundred pounds of costs on Council Tax, gas, electric, small repair jobs and mileage. Can any of these be claimed either on the CGT worksheet or as an expense on the SA property form?

    Thanks in Anticipation.

    Yes, you enter half the capital gain on your return and your husband enter half gain on his return.

    Are you submitting a SA108 Capital Gains Summary Form ? There should be a box to enter your capital loss which is should be half the loss figure on the worksheet. There is no time limit on carrying losses forward but you should make and keep a copy of the information you submit in your returns in case the tax records are "lost" through computer breakdown.

    The penalty fee paid to mortgage lender for early terminating fixed period deal and miscellaneous expenses incurred before exchange of sale contract are not capital gains expenses and should be charged against rental income from other BTL.


      Thank you for taking the time to reply.

      I am completing the CGT section within the SA form and have entered the information on the CGT worksheet.

      The mortgage fee is just a normal redemption fee for ending the mortgage, it is not on a fixed period deal. As the Council Tax, electricity ad gas were incurred after the property was no longer available for rent, I presumed these could not be included as an expense on my property section of the SA form.


        The mortgage fee is a business expense, incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
        If the other costs pass that test, i.e. they were incurred in the few weeks after the tenant had left while you sold the property, they're allowable.

        No one expects you to sell the property the day after the last tenant leaves in the state it was left in, you needed to carry out some maintenance, viewings etc and some of those costs are an unavoidable consequence of that.
        If it's months and months while you decided what to do or lived there, that would be different.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Latest Activity


        • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by mpppen
          We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

          I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
          03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
        • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by Trevor62
          Thank-you for the link.

          Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

          Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

          Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

          Because I am an old dad and my...
          19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Ollyn

          I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

          I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

          From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

          18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Gordon999
          You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

          The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
          19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by ash72
          You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
          18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by theartfullodger
          You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

          What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
          18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
        • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by Gordon999
          The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

          If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

          If your annual gross...
          18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
        • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by banner257
          Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
          18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
        • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
          by jpkeates
          It's £1,000 each.

          Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
          18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
        • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
          by VIKKI99
          Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
          The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
          Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
          18-05-2022, 01:07 AM