Stamp duty question for joint ownership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty question for joint ownership?

Hi,

I am intending to buy a residential property with a joint mortgage with my partner to live in. I previously owned a residential property which I sold in March 2016 and currently I own a btl property which is rented.
    My partner is a first time buyer and I am not, at present I do not own a residential property and I am wondering if on a purchase price of £400,000 the stamp duty will be £10,000 or £22,000?

I really appreciate if someone could please clarify that.

Many Thanks

Z

£22,000

The flowchart in the picture explains why (except that 18 months is now 36 months)

Stamp duty.jpg

Comment

According with the pic I shouldn't pay the high rate because at the end of the day of the transaction I will own 2 properties, but the second property bought together with my partner replace my main residence (which has been sold 2 months ago). So we should pay £10k correct?

Comment

If you still own the BTL, then you will own 2 properties.

Comment

I have just called hmrc and they told me that having sold my residential property last month I have now 35 months left to buy a new main residential property paying the basic stamp duty rate even if I own other BTL properties.
          Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Which department did you telephone at HMRC and do you have the phone number?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
              by Trevor62
              Thank-you for the link.

Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

Because I am an old dad and my...
              19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
            • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
              by mpppen
              Hello,
              We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
              03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by Gordon999
              You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
              19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
            • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by Ollyn
              Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
              by ash72
              You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
              18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
              by theartfullodger
              You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
              18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
            • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by Gordon999
              The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
              18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
            • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by banner257
              Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
              Thanks
              18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
            • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by jpkeates
              It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
              18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
            • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
              by VIKKI99
              Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
              The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
              Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
              18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
            Working...
            X