surrendering a protected tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your mother is the sole tenant then she is the only one who needs to sign the deed of surrender. Legally, the landlord is covered by the agreement for surrender in which and your sister give up any occupational rights.

Two things are thought not clear. The first is why the landlord declines to allow you and your sister to be parties to the deed since it does not prejudice his position and, though he is covered by the agreement, would put it beyond doubt. The second is why your accountant thinks it is necessary when the position is covered by the agreement.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, I do not think your mother can refuse to sign.

Comment

Perhaps the landlord is worried of doing something that might be taken as an acknowledgement that the other persons are also tenants.

How come there is no solicitor involved? There is probably quite a bit of money involved for all parties.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
        There is probably quite a bit of money involved for all parties.
        In the OP's previous thread, it's £100K.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
          Perhaps the landlord is worried of doing something that might be taken as an acknowledgement that the other persons are also tenants.
          But then why make them parties to the agreement? If there is a possibility someone has an interest you really need to deal with them.

The surrender can in any event be drafted on the basis that the tenant surrenders the tenancy and her children surrender "all their estate tight and interest (if any)".

Comment

Two related threads have been merged.
            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

lawcruncher, jjlandlord, mariner, thanks once again for great advice and opinions. I have sent you all pvt email message. if you dont receive them pls let me know. thanks
              PS. not sure if lm working the pvt email correctly. I am pressing the send message button but my sent folder is showing no sent emails.

Comment

UPDATE: good news members, the LL's solicitor has now agreed to include my sister and myself on the deed as *relinquishing our rights as occupiers* so now we all will be signing the deed. This is all we asked them to do.
                I just wanted to ask a question, which to be honest we never realy ever thought abt until recently until receiving the deed contract.
                I always assumed I was a *Tenant* of our family home, having lived in it now for over 40 yrs? Although we know only Mum and Dad's name were down on the tenancy, I just assumed that we would still be referred to as tenants also being the children of the parents who have the tenancy. Are we as the contract states *occupiers* and not tenants in the legal sense ?

Comment

l think l understand the difference now after looking at a past LLZ post.
                  it does all seem a bit strange mind,... should Mum pop her cloggs first then we would go from occupiers with the least security of tenure,... to tenants with the best security of tenure of any tenants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                    by jpkeates
                    You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
                    There is no option not to tell HMRC....
                    09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                  • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                    06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                    by Gordon999
                    I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
                    09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    Hi Andrew
                    First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                    08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                    08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                    08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    jpkeates
                    There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                    08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                    by jpkeates
                    I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                    It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                    08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    Morning Andrew
                    Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                    I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                    08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                    by AndrewDod
                    As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                    The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                    The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                    08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
                  Working...
                  X