Can I pay my partner for managing my property - and book keeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I pay my partner for managing my property - and book keeping?

Hi all

My partner doesn't currently work.

I was thinking that on the two properties I rent out, which I currently manage, she could cover all aspects of the property management instead, from finding tenants to arranging when any DIY needs doing etc etc.

Also, she could do the self assessment tax return for me, so all my book keeping.

This would make good use of her tax free allowance, which we don't currently use.

Is there any reason that she cant officially cover the management of both properties, in terms of her qualifications (none specific to property management, but then neither have I), and then how the tax returns work?

So for example I'd pay her 10% of the rental income on both properties, so call it £300 a month, plus say £250 a year for book keeping.

She'd then need to fill in her self assessment, but wouldn't need to pay any tax, of course.
    I assume this is quite common? Other than showing that I transfer her money each month, what other proof/receipts are needed please?

Many thanks

Assuming she isnt claiming any benefits that may be affected, Id say thats fine. I take it her name isnt on the deeds? If it is you could maximise her personal allowance for the rental income through Deed of Trust. If you go down management route then you would need an agreement between yourselves drawn up & a paper trail for work done. There are people more in tune with contracts & legals on here than me, but somethin g for you to look into

Comment

Would HMRC challenge that arrangement?
      Yes, it's a complete fiction.

Will they?
      Hard to say, as they're a huge organisation and this is a small evasion - so you might get away with it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Lots of MPs employ family members, and pay them more than they would pay unrelated employees. The money comes from our taxes, and they're allowed to do it. I can't see why the OP shouldn't employ his partner for a fair amount.

Comment

Because a landlord can't offset their own labour for tax purposes, so this creates a reduction in tax where previously there would have been none.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Powell View Post
            Lots of MPs employ family members, and pay them more than they would pay unrelated employees. The money comes from our taxes, and they're allowed to do it. I can't see why the OP shouldn't employ his partner for a fair amount.
            One rule for them and one for us!

OP does say his/her partner would take over the management of the properties so I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              Sorry which bit is fiction please?
              If my partner is not working, doesn't part-own the property and is happy to undertake all management company duties, whats the issue please?
              Im asking as I just want it all to be order in terms of what HMRC need to see.

For example her bank account would show Im paying her, but what proof does she need that shes doing it?

She'd be the point of contact on the tenants info pack, and would be sorting out any issues with the place by phoning DIY people etc, keeping on top of tenancy paperwork etc just like any management company? Lets face it theres not much to do for her 10% fee? But that's just the nature of the job.

Comment

Lots of sole traders 'employ' their wives to do their book keeping. I can't see why this is any different. BTW, I believe they can also pay any money over the zero band into a pension, and get tax relief on it.
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Some London letting agents charge 15% +VAT fee .

So I suggest you can raise her fee from 10% to 15% of monthly rental income

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                    Some London letting agents charge 15% +VAT fee .

So I suggest you can raise her fee from 10% to 15% of monthly rental income
                    Best not to push your luck. Letting agents have overheads.

Comment

Originally posted by bhodgkiss View Post
                      Thanks for the replies.
                      Sorry which bit is fiction please?
                      If my partner is not working, doesn't part-own the property and is happy to undertake all management company duties, whats the issue please?
                      Im asking as I just want it all to be order in terms of what HMRC need to see.
                      In retrospect my response made a number of assumptions, so "fiction" is probably a bit much.

If your partner is really going to do the job and be recompensed for that work, that's not a fiction.
                      She would need to register as a letting agent with a redress scheme and follow a code of conduct.
                      She'd need to register as self employed with HMRC and pay NI.
                      You'd actually have to do the job.

My assumption was that you were more concerned with how to present it to HMRC rather than your partner actually doing the job.

Comment

Many thanks for the info - I'll look into it

Comment

I would suggest your wife starts a one day per week home visit help service e.g for light bulb changing , flat cleaning, birthday card sending and baby sitting and keeping records etc.

if she keeps her annual income below £5K, there is no tax return to make and no NI to pay.

Comment

Many thanks

Does she need to do a tax return if her income is less than £5k total a year from being a letting agent?

Comment

The personal allowance now is over £10K before start of paying 20% income tax and £5,900 approx for start of NI.

It does not matter if hmrc asks for tax return to be submitted , there is no income tax to pay under £10K.

What does matter is that she needs more than one customer because if you are her only client , hmrc may think her service as a letting agent is fiction.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                                by jpkeates
                                You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
                                There is no option not to tell HMRC....
                                09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                              • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                                by reluctantlandlord1976
                                I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                                06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                                by Gordon999
                                I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
                                09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
                                by reluctantlandlord1976
                                Hi Andrew
                                First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                                08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                                08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                                by AndrewDod
                                Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                                08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                                by reluctantlandlord1976
                                jpkeates
                                There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                                08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                                It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                                08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                                by reluctantlandlord1976
                                Morning Andrew
                                Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                                I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                                08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                                by AndrewDod
                                As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                                The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                                The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                                08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
                              Working...
                              X