Letting agents fees and VAT being charged to Landlord

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Letting agents fees and VAT being charged to Landlord


    I have a small flat (2 bed), which I am thinking of renting out while I am abroad. I will be out of the country for a few years and non-resident for tax purposes. I assume it would be on the usual tenancy agreements (but most of that will be up to the agent).

    Having looked on the web, I think I can place my flat with a letting agent and would get around £650 per month rent for it.

    I have tried to shop around for lettings agents. Non of them are willing to discuss actual charges with me, but one did offer to do it for a fee of 8% plus VAT - together with VAT added to all services provided through them by a third party.

    Does anyone one know if this sounds reasonable?

    What is the position on VAT if I am non-resident?

    Can the agent charge me VAT for other services (e.g Gas Check) which are provided by a third party but are organised by the agent?

    If I organise these things myself, would I still need to pay the letting agent VAT?

    Many thanks - I will be glad to hear any ideas, input and thoughts.

    Depending on where you are 8% plus VAT is not bad at all.
    They'll charge VAT on everything they do for you (they have to).
    You can arrange things with tradespeople directly who won't charge you VAT.
    The VAT element is allowable as an expense against your income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Tbh, I think 8% sounds too cheap! I would drill down a bit and find out what that includes. If you're abroad you want as close to full management as agents will give, although you should be aware that some things you may not or should not be able to hand-over responsibility for (eg Right to Rent checks, ensuring the deposit is properly protected and PI served etc, basically anything that could end up costing you a lot of money or giving you a criminal record).

      Also don't forget to let HMRC know that you will be a landlord living abroad.


        Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        Tbh, I think 8% sounds too cheap!
        8%+vat is pretty standard if the property is outside of London, though really they should be quoting inclusive of VAT now. We, in Manchester, are 10% including VAT, if that's any help.
        <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Corporation Tax
          by Thurrock1

          the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
          25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
        • Corporation Tax
          by Thurrock1
          Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
          My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
          He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
          23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
        • Reply to Corporation Tax
          by jpkeates
          If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
          24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
        • Reply to Corporation Tax
          by theartfullodger
          IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
          24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
        • Reply to Corporation Tax
          by Thurrock1
          Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

          It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
          24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
        • Reply to Corporation Tax
          by Gordon999
          The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

          After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
          24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
        • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
          by Neelix
          In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
          18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
        • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
          by nukecad
          Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
          17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
        • Student HMO and Holiday let
          by lewis593
          Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
          17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
        • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
          by lewis593
          Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
          17-11-2021, 20:34 PM