Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmrc manual - dot

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tsemmanual/tsem9520.htm

"The trust will become enforceable from the date the declaration is executed, but such a document on its own does not prove that the trust existed prior to its execution. Evidence would need to be provided to show that the trust did exist before the declaration of trust was made in writing. "

Am not very familiar with legal key words. If I create a simple bare declaration of trust, can some one tell me

- what does it mean by " from the date the declaration is executed". How is it deemed to be executed?
    - Is post-office dated stamp/witness enough for evidence that the trust existed before the declaration of trust was made.

Or have I got it completely wrong.

thanks

87 views but comments! have I asked a daft question or a very difficult one

Comment

The question doesn't contain enough information to answer usefully.

Trusts can arise from a set of circumstances and then formalised in writing later.
      So it would depend on what the "post-office dated/stamp witness" means (and presumably witnessed).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates,

Thanks for your reply.

"post-office dated/stemp" to proove that the document hasn't been pre-dated.

Comment

That doesn't really help.

The text you quoted refers to the scenario where a trust arises and is subsequently formalised in writing.
          So the issue is when does the trust come into being.
          Backdating (or not) the written version is an issue, but it doesn't relate to the original post.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by londonrulz View Post
            87 views but comments! have I asked a daft question or a very difficult one
            The number of views includes views by non-registered visitors who cannot reply. At this moment in time the thread has been viewed by 13 registered members.
            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by jpkeates
              You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
              There is no option not to tell HMRC....
              09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
            • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
              06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
              by Gordon999
              I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
              09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              Hi Andrew
              First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
              08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
              by jpkeates
              Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
              08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
              08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              jpkeates
              There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
              08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
              by jpkeates
              I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
              It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
              08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              Morning Andrew
              Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
              I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
              08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
              by AndrewDod
              As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
              The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
              The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
              08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
            Working...
            X