Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon999
    replied
    Assuming you have had the property for 5 years period , ans lived for 2 years in whole house followed by 3 years in one of the studios.

The estimated capital gain if you sell for £110K less £30K purchase = £80K over 5 years .

The capital gain for 2 years residence in whole house = £80K x 2/5 = £32K will be exempt for cgt

For the remaining capital gain of £48K , you can claim 1/3 exemption for residence living in one of the studios . This leaves £32K which is taxable but you can claim £11K capital gains allowance . So you probably have about £21K capital gain to pay tax at 18% or 28%.

Leave a comment:

• halfax
    replied
    it was my house original took me a couple of years to convert then i lived in one studio for about a year , moved out thenlived in another of the studio one for about a year

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Are you saying you bought the house 10 years ago and occupied whole house for 5 years as your main residence?

Then 5 years ago, you converted the house to 3 studios units and lived in one studio for last 5 years and let out the other 2 studio units ?

Leave a comment:

• halfax
    replied
    they have not been split and 2 have been rented,for 5 years

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    If the properties haven't been let, this is probably going to be subject to income tax not CGT.

When the property was split, your residence became the property you moved into, and the two new properties were created.
    The work done on those units was development, not investment.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    If you could sell one flat every year you'd get every year's cgt allowance. Is that a possibility?

Leave a comment:

• halfax
    replied
    sorry should be 110000

Leave a comment:

• halfax
    started a topic disposing of studio lets

disposing of studio lets

have a house which i cinverted into 3 studio flats all seperate council taxs i want to sell i have lived in one for the last year and the house was my main residence for 5 years
    i paid 30000 for the house and selling for 11000 what reliefs are open to me?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
    by geeksy
    Thank you, appreciate your reply.
    21-01-2022, 13:21 PM
  • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
    by geeksy
    Hi,

I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

One of these has my address on it, not...
    20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
  • Reply to Advice
    by jpkeates
    1 - Yes, the company will have to buy the property and you will be selling it. So there's a CGT "event" for you and the business will pay SDLT. You need to think about structure if you're going to borrow to grow, most lenders will want one company per property and director's personal guarantees....
    20-01-2022, 16:02 PM
  • Advice
    by jhoggard
    Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
    20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
  • Reply to Recovering CGT on sale of property
    by MadLL
    Thank you for your responses. Does anyone have any thought on these EIS schemes, are they as safe as an investment in a rental property?. at least with a rental property you (hopefully) get rent every month and also capital growth - any thoughts?

thanks
    20-01-2022, 15:31 PM
  • Reply to Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
    by OneSmallStep
    Hi,
    Whilst you can't offset the income from your rental, you can easily contribute from your salaried earnings.

So if your property profit is £12500 pre tax. Then make the same contribution through PAYE to your pension. It is just a case of moving money. If your only source of income...
    20-01-2022, 12:35 PM
  • Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
    by Bristol_newbie
    Apologies if this has previously been posted, I have searched but can't find much.

I have recently moved in with my partner and subsequently started renting out my house. I have been lucky enough to make a 5 figure pre-tax profit (most of which will be sunk into paying off my rather high...
    20-01-2022, 09:32 AM
  • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
    by jpkeates
    The chances of HMRC investigating the claim are very small, and I'd keep both receipts just in case.
    20-01-2022, 12:07 PM
  • haring inherited property
    by halfax
    i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
    as anyone done similar?...
    19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
  • Reply to haring inherited property
    by royw
    You can put his half in a bare trust. Do consider the possible consequences though. Your grandson won't be eligible for first time buyer incentives and will have to pay additional stamp duty if he buys his own home.
    20-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Working...
X