disposing of studio lets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disposing of studio lets

have a house which i cinverted into 3 studio flats all seperate council taxs i want to sell i have lived in one for the last year and the house was my main residence for 5 years
    i paid 30000 for the house and selling for 11000 what reliefs are open to me?

sorry should be 110000

Comment

If you could sell one flat every year you'd get every year's cgt allowance. Is that a possibility?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

If the properties haven't been let, this is probably going to be subject to income tax not CGT.

When the property was split, your residence became the property you moved into, and the two new properties were created.
        The work done on those units was development, not investment.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

they have not been split and 2 have been rented,for 5 years

Comment

Are you saying you bought the house 10 years ago and occupied whole house for 5 years as your main residence?

Then 5 years ago, you converted the house to 3 studios units and lived in one studio for last 5 years and let out the other 2 studio units ?

Comment

it was my house original took me a couple of years to convert then i lived in one studio for about a year , moved out thenlived in another of the studio one for about a year

Comment

Assuming you have had the property for 5 years period , ans lived for 2 years in whole house followed by 3 years in one of the studios.

The estimated capital gain if you sell for £110K less £30K purchase = £80K over 5 years .

The capital gain for 2 years residence in whole house = £80K x 2/5 = £32K will be exempt for cgt

For the remaining capital gain of £48K , you can claim 1/3 exemption for residence living in one of the studios . This leaves £32K which is taxable but you can claim £11K capital gains allowance . So you probably have about £21K capital gain to pay tax at 18% or 28%.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                  by reluctantlandlord1976
                  I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                  06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                  by jpkeates
                  You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
                  There is no option not to tell HMRC....
                  09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
                  09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
                  by reluctantlandlord1976
                  Hi Andrew
                  First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
                  08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
                  08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
                  08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
                  by reluctantlandlord1976
                  jpkeates
                  There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
                  08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
                  It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
                  08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
                  by reluctantlandlord1976
                  Morning Andrew
                  Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
                  I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
                  08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
                  by AndrewDod
                  As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
                  The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
                  The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
                  08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
                Working...
                X