36 months SD rule

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    36 months SD rule

    With one property let out, I am looking to buy a second to live in. Is it possible to do this now paying the extra 3% then sell the let property in a year's time and have the 3% refunded?

    How do we know what changes will be brought in over the next 3 years?
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      I was just referring to the 36 month refund rule and whether it would apply in my situation?


        Based on the consultation document, no.
        You aren't replacing your main residence, so the refund doesn't look like it applies.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          Thanks, wasn't sure. My tenant wants to stay so I wondered if I could give her another year before marketing the flat. Looks like I will have to sell before buying again.


          Latest Activity


          • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
            by mpppen
            We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

            I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
            03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
          • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
            by Trevor62
            Thank-you for the link.

            Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

            Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

            Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

            Because I am an old dad and my...
            19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
          • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by Ollyn

            I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

            I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

            From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

            18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by Gordon999
            You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

            The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
            19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by ash72
            You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
            18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by theartfullodger
            You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

            What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
            18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
          • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by Gordon999
            The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

            If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

            If your annual gross...
            18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
          • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by banner257
            Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
            18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
          • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by jpkeates
            It's £1,000 each.

            Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
            18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
          • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
            by VIKKI99
            Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
            The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
            Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
            18-05-2022, 01:07 AM