36 months SD rule

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • landlord2b
    Thanks, wasn't sure. My tenant wants to stay so I wondered if I could give her another year before marketing the flat. Looks like I will have to sell before buying again.

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    Based on the consultation document, no.
    You aren't replacing your main residence, so the refund doesn't look like it applies.

    Leave a comment:

  • landlord2b
    I was just referring to the 36 month refund rule and whether it would apply in my situation?

    Leave a comment:

  • theartfullodger
    How do we know what changes will be brought in over the next 3 years?

    Leave a comment:

  • landlord2b
    started a topic 36 months SD rule

    36 months SD rule

    With one property let out, I am looking to buy a second to live in. Is it possible to do this now paying the extra 3% then sell the let property in a year's time and have the 3% refunded?

Latest Activity


  • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by Trevor62
    Thank-you for the link.

    Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

    Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

    Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

    Because I am an old dad and my...
    19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
  • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
    by mpppen
    We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

    I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
    03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by Gordon999
    You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

    The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
    19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
  • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by Ollyn

    I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

    I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

    From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

    18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by ash72
    You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
    18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
  • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
    by theartfullodger
    You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

    What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
    18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by Gordon999
    The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

    If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

    If your annual gross...
    18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
  • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by jpkeates
    It's £1,000 each.

    Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
    18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
  • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
    by banner257
    Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
    18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
  • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
    by Madmax86
    Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
    18-05-2022, 08:50 AM