tax on rental income for non-EU resident abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax on rental income for non-EU resident abroad

My wife and I are joint owner of the house in England where we resided many years before moving to Germany.

We let this house, and we report the income to HMRC.
    For my wife, her share of this rental income is about 70% of her total UK income (the rest is from a small business, that although we are resident in Germany, is still registered in the UK), whereas for me this is my total UK income.
    The total UK income of my wife is well below the personal tax allowance.

Unlike me, my wife is citizen of a non-EU Country. Added to the fact that she is also resident outside the UK, HMRC says she does not benefit from the personal tax allowance.
    The German treasury is aware of this income of ours, and does not tax it (for neither of us).

What if my wife were to sell (or donate) her 50% of our house to me, this will reduce our total tax burden, right?
    Are we allowed to do so? Any other implications...?
    Even including some legal cost, I suspect in the long term it will pay off.
    Anything else we should take into consideration?

Thanks,

What nationality passport do you and your wife hold ?

For property registered jointly under husband and wife's name, the tax office assume the income will be shared 50/50 . But you can change the distribution of income to say 10% / 90% by submitting a Form 17 ( form cannot be served backdated ).

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      What nationality passport do you and your wife hold ?

For property registered jointly under husband and wife's name, the tax office assume the income will be shared 50/50 . But you can change the distribution of income to say 10% / 90% by submitting a Form 17 ( form cannot be served backdated ).
      Thanks, Gordon, very useful, I was not aware of this Form17.
      For the record: I am Italian, my wife is Japanese. But exact nationalities do not really matter, HMRC only looks at whether on is citizen of an EU-country or not.
      About Form 17 HMRC also says

If you live with a spouse or civil partner and have income from property you jointly own, you’ll normally be taxed on an even split of the income between you.
      Use this form if you want to change the split of income to your actual share of ownership.
      You’ll also need to provide evidence that your beneficial interests in the property are unequal, for example a declaration or deed.

What does the last sentence exactly mean? What would they accept as evidence?
      Thank you,

Alberto

Comment

Gordon99,

thanks again but I am afraid Form17 will not do.
        It's like this: HMRC assumes by default the property is owned 50/50, and therefore the income is 50/50. If the ownership is different than 50/50, say 60/40 or 90/10 (and therefore the income as well), you can tell HMRC via Form17, so they will tax the income accordingly.
        It specifically says the form cannot be used to "redistribute" the income in shares different than the ownership.
        Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Gambatte View Post
          Gordon99,

thanks again but I am afraid Form17 will not do.
          It's like this: HMRC assumes by default the property is owned 50/50, and therefore the income is 50/50. If the ownership is different than 50/50, say 60/40 or 90/10 (and therefore the income as well), you can tell HMRC via Form17, so they will tax the income accordingly.
          It specifically says the form cannot be used to "redistribute" the income in shares different than the ownership.
          Cheers,

I found this info :

Q. If I acquire Italian citizenship jure sanguinis, is my spouse eligible to become an Italian citizen?

A. Yes. The principle of jure sanguinis is that, if you qualify for Italian citizenship through ancestry, you have actually been an Italian citizen since birth. This process simply recognizes the citizenship you already possess. The Italian law states that spouses of Italian citizens can apply for citizenship after six months of marriage if a couple is living in Italy and after three years of marriage if they are living abroad. Consider a person living outside of Italy who has already been married for over three years. Once he or she is recognized as an Italian citizen jure sanguinis, the spouse may apply for Italian citizenship immediately! Why? Because the Italian has been a citizen since birth and the couple has been married for over three years.

Comment

To change the proportions of ownership you need to own the property as tenants in common (not as joint tenants).
            This is fairly easy to do (although if there's a mortgage on the property, the lender may have an issue, particularly if the mortgage is not in both names).
            Then a solicitor creates a deed of trust to change the ownership from the presumed 50:50 ownership to the proportions you require, the form 17 simply tells HMRC about the change.

At some point in the future, you can change the proportions of ownership to a different ratio (a year or so before you sell the property for example).
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

@Gordon999
              if she were to acquire Italian citizenship Japan will request she renounce to her original Japanese citizenship, which she won't be prepared to (not even for paying less tax).

@jpkeates
              I think that's it. Just I wonder if there is some "hidden" drawback in this, or if we even are allowed to do so. Perhaps HMRC will stand up and shout: "you are doing this only to pay less tax, we simply don't let you do it". Dunno. Your disclaimer is spot on, we must speak to some "grown up professional". Dunno if we need a solicitor, or a tax advisor, or both, of course I'd much prefer to speak only to one professional, rather than to several.
              Yes, Form17 is "only" to inform HMRC about the share being different than 50:50, right now not yet useful.

Comment

It's quite legal and HMRC won't object (the process is pretty much only used to reduce tax).
                UK tax follows a concept called beneficial ownership rather than title, and the rules recognise that married couples can arrange their affairs differently.
                When you look into it, you'll find it's quite routine.

You will need a solicitor to draw up the necessary paperwork and they'll a) reassure you it's fine and b) point out any downsides.
                You can obviously take tax advice as well which might help to get the split right, but the solicitor should be able to do it (if they don't fill you with confidence use someone else).
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates, thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                    by AndrewDod
                    I think the point that is being missed here is that inflation *is itself* a type of tax.

It is a tax on savings (on people who try to save so they they or their disabled child can cope without having to lean on the state instead of smoking it away).

Put simply, government...
                    17-08-2022, 20:20 PM
                  • Capital Gains Tax
                    by LVA
                    Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
                    16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
                    by gnvqsos
                    I believe CGT did adjust gains in line with the RPI and also had taper relief. This was rejected in the late 90s by GB.
                    17-08-2022, 18:33 PM
                  • Reply to Overseas
                    by jase222
                    I sorted that out but but was surprised by his comments, I know all about Spainish residency as been there before , I am waiting for confirmation.
                    17-08-2022, 16:41 PM
                  • Overseas
                    by jase222
                    Hi,
                    I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
                    17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
                  • Reply to Overseas
                    by Gordon999
                    If you stay in Spain for 183 days or longer , you will become tax resident for Spanish Taxes. You can find this information by online search.

You may need to obtain a certificate of tax residency from HMRC or from Spain, to avoid paying taxes twice.
                    17-08-2022, 09:44 AM
                    by doobrey
                    Agree. CGT is supposed to be a tax on 'gains'. Like real ones. There is no 100% right/fair way of doing it but adjusting to an index wouldn't be difficult, and it would be lot better than doing nothing, as now. With the current system you can sell at a loss in real terms and still be taxed on your imaginary...
                    17-08-2022, 08:19 AM
                    by Flashback1966
                    It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation.

That is the problem with property. With stocks and shares you can sell a bit every year to make use of the CGT allowance.

This is why there is a deterent to selling up....
                    16-08-2022, 17:58 PM
                    by gnvqsos
                    If you a GOOD accountant they will advise on such matters-far more qualified than most forum members. If you pay £50k tax at 18pc you are taxed on £280k.Add allowance of £13k.You have made £295k gross,£245 net, and you want more? Pay your dues and count your stars(and cash)
                    16-08-2022, 17:34 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    I wouldn't rule it out, but I think the case for anyone starting out to do it as a company is pretty overwhelming now, and that would make it more compelling....
                    16-08-2022, 16:34 PM
                  Working...
                  X