• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts



    I bought a flat in 2000 for 200k, and recently bought the freehold for the block of 6 which completed last month in a company name.

    I now want to transfer the property to the company but unsure what the implications on stamp duty and capital gains the flat is now worth 330k.

    Also with the new rules coming in, any advice on what to do

    Why do you want to put your own property into the same company which owns the freehold ? Don't do it.

    1. The transfer of your flat ( registered in own name ) to company will be liable for capital gains tax at 18% & 28% rate ( but the period of owner occupied residence is exempt for cgt . )

    2. The other leaseholders may wish to buy a share in your company and your own flat held by the company will be a problem.


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
      by AndrewDod
      Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
      25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
    • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
      by shipboard
      I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
      24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
    • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
      by Another Fine Mess
      If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
      24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
    • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
      by gnvqsos
      I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
      24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
    • Reply to CGT query
      by Gordon999
      Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
      24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
    • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
      by Gordon999
      I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
      24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
    • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
      by jpkeates
      I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
      It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
      24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
    • CGT query
      by vik238754
      Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
      23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
    • Reply to CGT query
      by jpkeates
      What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
      24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
    • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
      by mpppen
      We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

      I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
      03-03-2022, 20:00 PM