Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer

Hi,

I bought a flat in 2000 for 200k, and recently bought the freehold for the block of 6 which completed last month in a company name.

I now want to transfer the property to the company but unsure what the implications on stamp duty and capital gains the flat is now worth 330k.

Also with the new rules coming in, any advice on what to do

Why do you want to put your own property into the same company which owns the freehold ? Don't do it.

1. The transfer of your flat ( registered in own name ) to company will be liable for capital gains tax at 18% & 28% rate ( but the period of owner occupied residence is exempt for cgt . )

2. The other leaseholders may wish to buy a share in your company and your own flat held by the company will be a problem.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Recent tax return
      by Ailers
      Hi, new here, sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find the answer.

I have just completed my tax return for 2020/21 as a landlord with a few properties. My income was 22k and my outgoings (maintainance, ground rent, insurance, mortgage payments etc) was 18k. The mortgages are...
      24-01-2022, 22:42 PM
    • Reply to Recent tax return
      by jpkeates
      I suspect that you completed the return incorrectly.
      25-01-2022, 09:30 AM
    • Reply to 50/50 ownership versus rental split
      by AndrewDod
      Yes (if you are spouses)
      Probably wise to use a lawyer
      CGT not relevant as you can freely transfer between spouses for CGT purposes (even shortly before a sale)...
      25-01-2022, 08:52 AM
    • 50/50 ownership versus rental split
      by Deeks67
      Hi guys , I have recieved some inaccuratre advice ( not from this site ) RE ownership and rental income split . my wife and I have 2 unemcumbered properties which are renting out , the first started renting in Oct 2020 and the second started in July 2021 . Both properties are in joint names 50/50 (...
      25-01-2022, 06:24 AM
    • Tax return
      by pchaure
      Hi
      New to this, buy to let property got in 2018 but renewing took time and COVID hit. Rented out since Dec 2020. I had Electrical work done completed in 2019, as had no income I had not filled in self assessment. Can I claim it in this tax year?
      24-01-2022, 19:05 PM
    • Reply to Tax return
      by jpkeates
      If it was first let in December 2020, the costs allowable against income prior to that take place on the first day of the first tenancy for tax purposes.

So, if you mean can you claim it on a tax return for April 2020 to April 2021, the answer is yes.
      You can't claim it for this tax...
      24-01-2022, 21:10 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by SouthernDave
      I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
      23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
    • Advice
      by jhoggard
      Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
      20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by jpkeates
      I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
      At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
      23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by SouthernDave
      i concur with James, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders.
      23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
    Working...
    X