CGT in joint-names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT in joint-names

Hi all, i have a question on CGT for a buy-to-let i am about to complete on next month having just had my BTL loan application approved. Are there any significant pros/cons for purchasing in joint names (i.e. with my sister)? We are very close and trust each other etc so no issues there. I intend to appoint an accountant to look over my affairs but would appreciate help on this basic query.

Thanks!

D.

Two people currently gives two CGT annual allowances.
    There might be issues if one of you were to die (however remote that seems).
    Maybe something to process through a trust.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The proposed reduction in CGT will prove to be an added advantage even after taking account of the respective CGT annual allowance.

Comment

Is the mortgage approved for joint ownership ? Regards Peter

Comment

Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
          The proposed reduction in CGT will prove to be an added advantage even after taking account of the respective CGT annual allowance.
          Except it doesn't apply to property-related gains.

Comment

If you are to receive different % of rental income (profit) then I believe that HMRC needs to know, apparently there is a form which needs completing. You should also consider whether the property is held "Jointly" or as "Tenants in Common". If held jointly on death their half defaults to the other, so if for instance you wish to leave your 50% share to a child, you cannot do so.

The link below explains the tax situation a bit more clearly. I bought a property with an ex and it's become complicated on account of the things I did not consider at the time. I have only ever had one solicitor who took the trouble to explain the difference between the way the property is help, unfortunately not the one I used for this property.

http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/A...-held-property

Comment

Thanks all.

I get that we get to benefit from an extra CGT allowance (approx £11 if I'm not mistaken) if we purchase jointly. Is this a per annum allowance i.e. if disposing after 10 years of ownership do we each have a £110,000 exemption? That sounds wrong as soon as i typed it! Surely it's just £11k not 10 times £11k? If so i don't think that's worth the hassle of joint names.

I'd have to submit a new mortgage application in joint names but adding her to the application will only help according to underwriter so no issues there.

Loanarranger could you please elaborate on the proposed reduction etc? Sorry I am a total amateur on tax.

Thanks

D.

Comment

The allowance is for the tax year, so if £11k currently, you pay either 18% or 28% on the remaining gain, depending if you are a lower or higher rate tax payer. Unfortunately the reduction of CGT in today's budget doesn't apply to property.

Comment

So to be clear, if we buy a property for 500k then dispose in the year 2026 at 800k and assuming we are both lower rate taxpayers and all else in unchanged we each pay 18% in CGT on 139k gain? If in sole name i pay 18% on 289k gain?

Comment

Yes, I think there are some further deductions depending on how long you have had the property, but nothing substantial, so would work on this as a top level.
                    I think the more important thing is looking at how joint ownership will impact your tax liability and making sure everything fine with HMRC if you decide to hold the property jointly but keep 100% of profit. I am not sure if you did this if it would set a president as far as capital gains are concerned e.g. If you have filed tax return for 100% of profit would they then accept a split of 50/50 on sale of the property. I own a couple of properties with my sister and believe me no matter how close you are priorities change once husbands come on the scene. If held jointly, as previously mentioned you could not pass your share to anyone else on death. I think these are bigger issues and unfortunately I am not a tax expert but have been affected by the 2 other issues I mention. We bought our first property together 20 years ago and believe me life does change.

Comment

Thanks shearne appreciate the advice.

Comment

No your gain is added to your gross income to to identify your marginal tax rate. Depending on your gross income including your rental profit you will have maybe some CGT at 18% and the rest at 28%. Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax implications of remortgaging home for a deposit on a BTL
                          by Jerry777
                          Hi

I would be grateful if anyone could help with this query.

I am remortgaging my home to raise a deposit for a BTL property, and I wondered when I submit my SA tax return, if I would be entitled to a tax credit for the interest on the residential mortgage in the same way as...
                          20-06-2021, 18:58 PM
                        • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
                          by Gordon999
                          I suggest you send a letter by recorder delivery :

Tax Ref: xxxxx xxxxx

Dear Tax Inspector,

I am the owner of a btl property at 88 Garden terrace , Toy Town .

I wish to inform you that my rental tenant stopped paying rent in Sept 2019 .
                          20-06-2021, 14:18 PM
                        • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
                          by Sara2
                          Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
                          13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
                        • Reply to Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
                          by Gordon999
                          The first period used as main residence is 3 years plus 9 months after moving away. The second period as main residence is 2 years.

So out of 10 years ownership , the total capital gain is apportioned 5 years plus 9 months as "main residence and 4 years and 3 months under rental...
                          20-06-2021, 14:05 PM
                        • Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
                          by Gep
                          Hi all,
                          I'm thinking about selling my flat and trying to workout how much capital gain tax I would have to pay.
                          ​​Accordingly to the HMRC website the rate is 28% if you let the property out, but I'm currently living there so I'm not sure.

I've owned the property for 10 years:...
                          18-06-2021, 17:32 PM
                        • inherited house - best to sell or rent
                          by Wobble1
                          Hi all,

My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
                          17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
                        • Reply to inherited house - best to sell or rent
                          by Gordon999
                          If you want to keep both houses and rent out one house, you should visit 3 local estate agents and make enquiries with lettings manager :
                          to check out the following info :

1. What is the rental demand for property in your district or street area ? flats or houses ? furnished...
                          20-06-2021, 13:57 PM
                          by Gordon999
                          1. If you decide to sell father 's house now, the capital gain will come mainly from your own half share .

If the capital gain on your half share is around £50K , the cgt tax may be around £50K less £12K allowance = £38K at 18% = £7K .

The capital gain on the half...
                          20-06-2021, 13:32 PM
                        • Reply to Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
                          by Gep
                          Thank you!
                          19-06-2021, 18:59 PM
                          by ram
                          CGT is shown in post 8 ( i am no expert in CGT )

Even if you let a house, it still has to be cleared of EVERYTHING, YES EVERYTHING. maybe even furnished with furniture that has stickers on saying fire proofish. empty cupboards, dressers, under the stars, garage, potting shed, tidy the garden,...
                          19-06-2021, 13:20 PM
                        Working...
                        X