Stamp Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty

My husband owns and rents out a house that we both previously lived in. We are planning to get a BTL in both names in July when the current BTL runs out. Do we have to pay Stamp Duty? We both own the house we currently live in.

If by BTL you mean a mortgage, not currently, as a re-mortgage doesn't currently trigger stamp duty.
    There's nothing in the most recent consultation to say that will change, so it's unlikely, but the final rules are not yet available.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I just wondered if I jointly own the home I live in and then am added to the mortgage on my husband's BTL mortgage it'll be seen as a second home.

Comment

No there is no SDLT payable, this is a straight forward transfer of equity at zero cash consideration. The only change is that the new application will be classified as a Consumer Buy to Let; I have already posted on Friday how such loans are assessed by lenders who accept such types of BtL applications as it is a Regulated transaction .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X