Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novice

Hi,

I'm new to this and need some help. My rental property has had no work done to it for years; I was told that the kitchen was installed in 1989 - 5 units in total. As it's a large kitchen, I got a new kitchen with 8 units fitted. I've been reading up on this and is it correct that I cannot claim the kitchen as a repair?
    If I can claim a proportion, will that be 5/8th of the total price or can I just take off the price of the 3 extra units + 3/8ths of fitting price?
    Flat pack kitchens were the same price as a Howdens kitchen (got a good deal), but as it's a Howdens, does that mean it will that be classed as an improvement and so not be able to claim anything at all as a repair (ie capital only)?

It depends.
    Had the original kitchen remained pristine since installation would the property be worth roughly what it is worth after the replacement.

In any replacement there will be an element of improvement (betterment) so it isn't ruled out as a repair/replacement simply because what you end up with is better.
    If you have significantly improved the property you can apportion the work to an element of repair and an element of betterment.

You don't lose the cost of the improvement entirely, that element would be offset against any capital gain on disposal.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates. I had a chat with the previous owner and he says it was an MFI kitchen of 'good quality'. If it had stayed in pristine condition and comparing that to what I've put in, I'd say the difference in property value would be minimal: an increase of around the £1000 mark with the new kitchen. The kitchen cost £3000 for supply and fit.
      When I come to do my tax return, would I then apportion £2000 to repair/replacement and £1000 to improvement/capital?

p.s If I sold the flat, someone else would want to improve the kitchen further or replace it altogether. There's no fancy lights or integrated appliances etc The only change I've made would be the 3 extra cabinets. There's a lot that could be done with the remaining space.

Comment

I may not be doing it right, but I have always treated a situation like this as 5/8 repair (deductible from the year's income for tax purposes) and 3/8 capital expenditure.

I would not be concerned with how much the worth of the whole property would change because of the work: that is extremely subjective and in any case will come out in the wash when CGT is eventually payable on sale or IHT on death.

Comment

I'd be tempted to put the whole thing down as maintenance.
          There's not hard and fast rule about this - HMRC talks about adding whole rooms as betterment and you started with a kitchen and ended up with a kitchen.
          If you added an Aga or it was a designer kitchen that might be different.

CGT is a future possibility (the whole regime might change at any point) while maintenance is something of benefit now.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi MickyV, Is capital expenditure related to CGT? Just want to make sure I understand this - if I put 3/8 as capital expenditure, do I note that on the tax return for 15/16 or does that only come into the equation once I sell the flat or my kids inherit it? ie is there a section on the tax return where I need to note it now? (3/8th of the total spend comes to around £1100)

Comment

As regards HMRC, you don't need to do anything about the capital expenditure until you (or your estate) sell the property.
              So make sure your records are kept properly and other people know about them - otherwise the allowance will be lost.

Comment

Hi Jocat11
                I have never got to the position where I have sold a rental property yet. However, as I understand it, you do not include it in your 15/16 return. However, you need to keep record of the Capital Expenditure so on eventual sale or other disposal it reduces the CGT payable.
                Regarding your kids inheriting it, I think I am right in saying that your Capital Gains liability dies with you and IHT becomes payable on the estate. So at that point the capital spend becomes irrelevant. That is another good reason for classing as much as you can legitimately do as "repairs" (so saving Income Tax this year).
                Like jpkeates says, in reality for this particular case you might consider putting it all down as maintenance. I would have thought a challenge from HMRC would be unlikely and if you got one you might well be able to justify the classification on the grounds that the 2016 equivalent of a 1989 5-unit kitchen would have 8 units. Happy for somebody more expert to correct me, but my understanding is that replacing something with its modern equivalent does not count as betterment. A classic example is replacing old wooden windows with new PVC ones.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• inherited house - best to sell or rent
                  by Wobble1
                  Hi all,

My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
                  17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
                • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
                  by Sara2
                  I fail to see how i can notify hmrc that rental was terminated in 2019 whilt non paying tenant remained in the property until May 21
                  17-06-2021, 19:29 PM
                • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
                  by Sara2
                  Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
                  13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  If you do not inform the Tax Office and just move back to live in the BTL property, the "rental business with tax losses" , can remain in existence for three years.

https://www.property-tax-portal.co.u...business.shtml

But the property owner can notify the Tax Office...
                  17-06-2021, 12:28 PM
                • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
                  by jpkeates
                  But there's £750,000 mortgage lending to pay off when you die, so the "giving away" is more like a loan.

I'm not expecting anyone to pay 1p more tax than they should, but I find it's sometimes interesting to replace "the taxman" and "HMRC" with "we/us"...
                  17-06-2021, 09:38 AM
                • IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
                  by clairol
                  So I’ve been listening to some property investment seminars where the suggestion is to buy ‘good’ properties, regularly put the rent up and never sell them.
                  The advice is to keep them forever so you do not pay CGT; re-finance regularly and either enjoy the money or re-invest it; pay minimal...
                  16-06-2021, 16:40 PM
                  by Section20z
                  Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses ....
                  17-06-2021, 09:01 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.

It's only a tax effective policy in the same way that having no money when you die means you don't pay that much inheritance tax.

Ignoring the reliefs and personal thresholds for simplicity, if you die with a portfolio...
                  17-06-2021, 08:10 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  Surely the business continued (the rent was still owed, even if not paid) and the business continued until the disposal of the property (assuming it was the only property in the business).

Your interpretation is more appealing if it can be justified....
                  17-06-2021, 07:54 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  Whoever gave you that advice doesn't understand how CGT works.
                  You straight line the increase between purchase and disposal and you can deduct any time the property was your main residence (plus some additional months) as that period's gain is tax free.

Any valuation when you start...
                  17-06-2021, 07:52 AM
                Working...
                X