Property transfer to wifes name

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Property transfer to wifes name

    Hi, I've been reading through the forums and have seen similar questions mainly regarding CGT, but this question isn't mainly focused on CGT, apologies if this has been answered before, i just couldn't seem to find the answer directly related to what i would like to know.

    So here's the story from the beginning, i bought a house before i met my wife, and let it out. i then met my now wife and after a few years of being together we asked the tenant to move out and we moved in and lived there for 18 months/ 2years. we then moved out of my property and bought a bigger house, had kids, then got married, keeping the other property as solely owned by me. the tenants pay the rent to me (£800 per month), and i pay the mortgage on it, i am a 40% tax rate payer, my wife earns nothing. i read recently about the tax changes and from April 2016 we can no longer offset the mortgage interest from the profit made on second properties. So i am considering what to do as it will cost me more and more going forward and i think we should take advantage of my wife's 11k unused tax allowance.

    so from what i've read, i think i can put 99% of the property into my wifes name and let her be paid the rent and show that as her income (therefore not paying any tax as it falls under 11k a year), if i want to do this who should i contact? and how will that effect CGT going forward?

    only thing im wondering is (not that im planning on getting divorced anytime soon/at all), as this is a non-martial asset, if i left it as it is (with me the sole owner) and got divorced would it be mine or would it be split? and if i transferred 99% of it to her name, would it be mine or would it be 99% hers?

    Thanks for your time guys!


    But at least you've agreed not to fight over the asset..,,,
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      You possibly need an accountant to work through the options.

      You don't need to transfer to transfer the property to your wife, you need the property to be owned by both of you as tenants in common and then you use a deed of trust to change the proportion of ownership for tax purposes.
      This is something that a solicitor would do for you quite routinely.

      You want to make sure that you don't lost any PPR/letting relief for the time you were living there.

      Tax follows beneficial ownership not title, so if your wife was helping you pay for the property while you were living there, she may be entitled to PPR.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by Trevor62
        Thank-you for the link.

        Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

        Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

        Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

        Because I am an old dad and my...
        19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
        by mpppen
        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

        I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Gordon999
        You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

        The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
        19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
      • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by Ollyn

        I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

        I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

        From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

        18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by ash72
        You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
        18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
        by theartfullodger
        You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

        What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
        18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by Gordon999
        The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

        If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

        If your annual gross...
        18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
      • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by banner257
        Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
        18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
      • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
        by jpkeates
        It's £1,000 each.

        Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
        18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
      • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
        by Madmax86
        Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
        18-05-2022, 08:50 AM