Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting terms question and possible overcharging

Hi

I've finally managed to get the guy doing my accounts to get them sorted and he's now hit me with his invoice. I don't mind paying for work done, but think he's trying to overcharge me.

When I first contacted him, it was to say I had all my accounts done up on a spreadsheet and I was wondering what login details he used to access HMRC website to do the returns as he has done the submissions over the last 2 years.

He replied to me that he could give my accounts a check over and charge me a set price for submission to Companies House and HMRC, which I thought was reasonable and therefore agreed.

He emailed his invoice today and said that there was an additional charge (50% extra from his original price) for the Corporation Tax Return.

My question is, is this an additional return from what he originally said? I thought the Companies House return and HMRC return would have included the Corporation Tax return.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brendan

You would have an income tax return to HMRC for job earnings , directors fee, and rental profit from property held in your own name.( paid by you ).

Your company has obligations for submitting annual returns to Companies House and HMRC. ( cost paid by company )

Comment

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the reply.

I already submitted myself, my own personal accounts to HMRC detailing any rental profit and paid the tax.

The guy doing the accounts was only doing those for the company.

I guess from what he is charging me is that there are 3 separate accounts for the company:
      • HMRC accounts
      • Companies House accounts
      • Corporation Tax Return

Thanks

Brendan

Comment

There should only be one set of accounts.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So I'm getting charged 50% extra just for the submitting of the accounts rather than the make up of them?

Once the accounts are produced, what effort does it take to submit the Corporation Tax Return to Companies House? Is it a matter of just uploading the accounts, or do you have to jump through multiple screens? Basically, would it be a 5 minute piece of work or would it take an hour or more?

I want to try and see why the extra charge is so high.

Thanks

Comment

I'd ask your accountant.

The effort of uploading a tax return to HMRC doesn't justify the fees I pay my accountant for the service.
            But I pay for the knowledge its been done properly (and corresponding lack of stress) and for the insurance if it isn't.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

He has replied to my query with:

Hmrc and companies house receive a set of abbreviated accounts in the same submission. For corporation tax there is an additional tax return together with a set of specially formatted accounts that have to be submitted through 3rd party software.
              I guess its the 3rd party software and the specially formatted accounts that justify the extra fee.

I don't mind paying for a service, but just need to know I'm getting some kind of value for money.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by AndrewDod
                Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                by Another Fine Mess
                If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
                24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                by shipboard
                I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                by gnvqsos
                I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
              • Reply to CGT query
                by Gordon999
                Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                by Gordon999
                I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                by jpkeates
                I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
              • CGT query
                by vik238754
                Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
              • Reply to CGT query
                by jpkeates
                What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
              • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                by mpppen
                Hello,
                We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
              Working...
              X