Form 17 deadline query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 17 deadline query

Following a change of ownership of a rental property I duly sent in a Form 17 to HMRC reflecting this. I was admittedly late in doing so, mindful of the 60-day notification deadline after execution of the transfer of ownership. The deadline was Friday 23 January, and I posted it first class recorded delivery on Wednesday 21st. What could possibly go wrong?

I checked the proof of delivery online for my peace of mind, and found to my horror that my letter wasn't actually signed for until Tuesday 27th. I realise that HMRC state that they treat late or non-submission of a Form 17 as if it was never submitted at all. Can anyone advise, is that what will definitely happen to me? Do they have any discretion over how hard and fast they apply this rule? What happens now - will they write to me and let me know either way whether or not my form's been accepted, or is it a case of 'no news is good news?'

And yes, clearly I should have used a guaranteed next-day service.

Give them a call and ask.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Was this as a result of a Declaration of Trust or a LR change. Regards Peter

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        Give them a call and ask.
        Hmm, even in the unlikely event of being able to get through to them, it's not something I really want to go out of my way to bring to their attention!

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
        Was this as a result of a Declaration of Trust or a LR change
        The former (a change in % ownership of a property owned as Tenants in Common).

Comment

I *think* (not re-read on topic) that you are misinterpreting the deadline. You need to send it to HMRC within 60 days of the Form 17 being signed (and the effect of the notice is as of that date) - NOT within 60 days of the Deed.

Comment

Indeed HMRC say: Stamp the form with the date of receipt in the official use box as soon as it is received. That is because the declaration is valid only if we receive it within 60 days of the ***couple signing it***.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X