CT600 for simple property management company

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CT600 for simple property management company

    I run a small company looking after a couple of properties.

    I understand a property management company cannot use the HMRC online service to submit a CT600.

    Is this really the case?

    If so, how best should I go about this as I understand HMRC don't allow paper CT600s any more.

    Do I have to purchase software to submit my return. If this is the only way, which software can anyone recommend?

    I'm wondering if I am getting confused.

    Is a Property Management Company generally associated with Flats and other leasehold properties?

    Or does the term Property Management Company, as used by HMRC, refer to any letting/service company?


      This link should help you :




        The first link regarding first company accounts didn't seem to mention anything about a company concerning property.

        The second link says:

        You’ll also need to use commercial software if you’re reporting any of the following:

        1 money owed to the company more than 9 months after the end of the accounting period, eg a director’s loan
        2 income or losses from property


          You can write a letter to ask hmrc to send your company a paper tax return to complete or else find an online accountant company which advertises service to submit the tax return for you.


            I see you can send a paper copy if you have some religious belief you shouldn't use computers!

            Thanks, that may well be the best way.


              No need to write as I found the website to download the tax return:



                Many thanks.

                That is the short form of CT600. I believe there is a more recent form 2015 - version 3.

                I wasn't sure if I could use the short form?


                  I think you should register first and let hmrc give you their tax ref number and post a first tax return to your company.


                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
                    by dp17
                    See the following property income manual, from HMRC , may be of some help.

                    02-07-2022, 16:19 PM
                  • tax / cgt question for renovating property
                    by DroidEgg
                    I purchased a shell of a house that was structurally sound but needed complete refurbishment. The house had been ransacked many items. eg All the radiators & copper pipe had been ripped from the walls.
                    A builder completed all the work from start to finish. The final cost was an all-in job...
                    02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
                  • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
                    by Section20z
                    It may certainly be beneficial to allocate some of those expenses to running costs, electrical work required for the NEIC certainly is solely for the letting. Depends how much profit you are likely to make though, you'll have to do some sums .
                    02-07-2022, 13:00 PM
                  • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
                    by Gordon999
                    If you purchased a building shell , and had the builder carry out the refurbishment work , then enter all expenses as an improvement in your records. You paid the builder by cheque and should have kept bank statements to show all payments .

                    No need to break down the cost into operating...
                    02-07-2022, 11:59 AM
                  • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
                    by jpkeates
                    I'd suggest that based on that description, all of the work was probably capital.
                    02-07-2022, 10:43 AM
                  • CGT query
                    by vik238754
                    Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                    23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                  • Reply to CGT query
                    by Gordon999
                    I believe your solicitor has to prepare a Deed of Trust which transfers 60 % interest in the property from wife to you.

                    You need to make clear to your solicitor that Deed is for HMRC only and not for registration at Land Registry

                    After signing the Deed , you...
                    01-07-2022, 16:51 PM
                  • Reply to CGT query
                    by vik238754
                    The existing declaration states 10:90 beneficial interest not legal interest
                    01-07-2022, 13:06 PM
                  • Reply to CGT query
                    by Gordon999
                    The Declaration changing the beneficial interest to 70:30 is prepared only for showing to the Tax Office .

                    The existing registration of 10% :90% legal interest at Land Registry does not change and the Mortgage Lender has already accepted this situation. .
                    01-07-2022, 12:18 PM
                  • Reply to CGT query
                    by vik238754
                    Hi. My solicitor has told me the declaration needs to be registered with the land registry otherwise there will be no effect of creating the declaration. Is this correct?

                    I have also spoken to my lenders and they have mentioned they will want a new copy of the title. I mentioned to them...
                    01-07-2022, 10:35 AM