Can I claim cost of furnishing instead of the 10% W&T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim cost of furnishing instead of the 10% W&T?

I'm just about to complete on a new flat which I will let fully furnished and therefore need to buy all the furniture over the next couple of weeks. I would only get a few months of the W&T allowance if I claimed it so could I claim the actual cost of furnishing instead?
    Thanks
    David

Obvious question is why rent furnished?

I would normally say no, but by the time you do your next/first return for the flat, the expenditure would be allowable.
    I'd personally make the claim for the actual cost (and make no 10% W&T claim at all - you definitely can't claim both).

Other wiser heads may disagree...
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Do you mean that even if I buy furniture now it may still be allowed if I submit my 15-16 tax return in January 2017?
      Thanks

Comment

Costs incurred prior to the start of the business are treated as having been incurred on the first day of the first tenancy.
        And on this case, yes I'd declare them.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X