Claiming Subsistence for Landlords

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Claiming Subsistence for Landlords

    My accountant has always stated that claiming subsistence is NOT allowed when visiting any property in a personal capacity.

    However if I am self employed and traveling away from my home address to visit/manage properties then I feel this is questionnable as trips are not part of say a normal daily commute.

    Would be grateful to hear whether any members do claim subsistence. I am not talking about full blown meals but simply a sandwich/drink etc.


    I claim hotel costs when away from home. Though I do pay for my own lunches, as obviously I would have to pay something for my own food at home.


      Thanks for your reply


        I always claim when I'm away from home at seminars etc. Cup of coffee at home = 10p, at venue - £3.

        May not be correct but I'll let the HMRC tell me otherwise if I get audited.


          The lesson here is never visit your property in a "personal capacity".

          Do it in "Landlord capacity" to address tenant's complaint or check repair work completed before paying bill or check flat after tenant's departure etc .


          Latest Activity


          • Another Form 17 Question. Avoiding 60% TAX
            Hi Forum, Please be gentle on a new member and first time poster.

            Hopefully, someone will be able to assist me in an area I realise has been covered numerous times. Currently, I have trawled the internet, spoke with my Accountant and Solicitor, to say I have received conflicting information...
            22-03-2019, 14:16 PM
          • Reply to Another Form 17 Question. Avoiding 60% TAX


            26-03-2019, 03:13 AM
          • Balancing Payment
            Evening all,

            Whilst I completed my most recent tax return Im was due to make a balancing payment.

            Once this is paid what section of my next tax return do I input this balancing payment to ensure I’m not paying twice

            25-03-2019, 20:43 PM
          • Reply to Balancing Payment
            You don't. A balancing payment is the excess of what you owe after the tax you have already paid, and should bring our tax due to zero.

            Even if you have to make a payment on account, that is only considered after your tax due is calculated.
            25-03-2019, 21:22 PM
          • Tax credit
            Hi Folks

            Another new member here, hello to all.

            I hope this has not been covered before as I cannot find it any where.

            I am renting out a property and not long since contacted inland revenue for tax for 2017/18. I am a basic rate tax payer and have an interest...
            24-03-2019, 21:40 PM
          • Reply to Tax credit
            No such thing as a 1000 profit exemption. You are thinking about interest on savings.

            Not having to do a tax return is not the same as not having to pay tax. And the requirement to do a tax return depends on income (and other things) not profit.

            Are you sure you are calculating...
            25-03-2019, 21:17 PM
          • Reply to Another Form 17 Question. Avoiding 60% TAX
            Maybe you can point me in the direction of a form or document that allows you to choose a percentage of ownership other than an equal share when registering title. I know a previous poster has said it's possible but I'm yet to see the proof, even Google doesn't have the answer. I would love this to...
            25-03-2019, 16:08 PM
          • Reply to Another Form 17 Question. Avoiding 60% TAX
            Change your solicitor, or ask the question again.

            There are two ways to vary the percentage ownership.
            One is to formally change the title deeds. You gift your spouse (or they gift you) a share in the property. You do this by being tenants in common and explicitly recording who owns...
            25-03-2019, 10:24 AM
          • transfer of equity SDLT question
            i own two mortgaged properties, one in my name and one in my wifes name.

            value of my property is c.350k, the one owned in joint names is valued at c.450k.

            We are purchasing a new property together worth c450k, and at the same time wish to remove her name from the register on...
            24-03-2019, 12:11 PM
          • Reply to transfer of equity SDLT question
            No - at least not one which is acceptable as a security to an institutional lender. You can only register a mortgage at the Land Registry if all the registered proprietors execute it. If the mortgage is not registered the lender does nt have a power of sale if the borrower defaults. A mortgage of a...
            25-03-2019, 10:21 AM