Joint house ownership (BTL) - we can split the income and use both tax allowances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint house ownership (BTL) - we can split the income and use both tax allowances?

Hi all

My first post here.

I'm looking at buying a house (buy to let)

My girlfriend doesn't work (house mum)

If we buy this house together (joint ownership) can we split the rental income 50:50 tax-wise, so that her full tax-free allowance is put to good use? so if the rental income was £1000 a month, she could take £500 a month and not have to pay tax as £6k for the year would be well within her tax free allowance.

Are there ways she can take a bigger percentage than this?

We're not married.

Regards

Originally posted by bhodgkiss View Post
    If we buy this house together (joint ownership) can we split the rental income 50:50 tax-wise, so that her full tax-free allowance is put to good use? so if the rental income was £1000 a month, she could take £500 a month and not have to pay tax as £6k for the year would be well within her tax free allowance.

Are there ways she can take a bigger percentage than this?
    Go and have a browse in the Tax sub-forum here (which is actually where you should have posted this! ) , this question comes up all the time.

Comment

When you buy a property under joint names, your conveyancing solicitor will ask if you want to register the property titleholder as "joint tenants" or "tenants in common".

"Joint tenants" means both parties have equal right to ownership of the property and if one jt owner dies, the entire property will belong to the surviving jt owner. As for declaration of rental income in a tax return , each owner would report 50% of the annual rental income less 50% of allowable expenses.

"Tenants in common" means the title holders will registered as owners according to whatever share has been agreed e.g 10% and 90% and each share can be willed to others. As for declaration of rental income in a tax return , each will declare their share of rental income and expenses proportional to their share of the property.

Comment

I've been searching regarding the same thing and by default it seems that its 50:50, however you can fill in a Form 17 I believe which can change the % on proof of ownership (i.e. 75:25)

This is my current understanding, any guru's please correct if wrong and i'll edit the post.

Ref: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tsemmanual/tsem9851.htm

Comment

You need a declaration of trust first - which you should use a solicitor for.
          Form 17 is simply how you communicate this to HMRC.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Giving/Gifting House to Kids
            by Tony-Edwards
            Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
            11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
          • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
            by jpucng62
            If they are left with a house bought 50 years ago and nothing else it certainly hasn't been a financially productive life has it? Either they have earned very little or spent quite a lot. Seems a bit odd to then think there would be anything left for the kids after either scenario....
            12-08-2022, 16:55 PM
            by Tony-Edwards
            Ha-Ha don't try and deflect it back to me.

I posted a scenario with info to ask for peoples views - yet you chose to go on the attack lol...
            12-08-2022, 15:25 PM
            by gnvqsos
            The house is being exchanged for the provision of care .Why should the family inherit the house, benefit from a windfall, and expect others to fund their parental care? The family could fund the care and then house could be inherited as and when the parents pass on.. There is also equity release as...
            12-08-2022, 14:15 PM
            by Neelix
            Then why are you getting involved?...
            12-08-2022, 13:58 PM
            by Tony-Edwards
            Ah how sweet - and clearly you CANNOT READ !!!!!

As previously stated - quite clearly I thought - " (BTW they're not my parents or kids) "...
            12-08-2022, 13:37 PM
            by Hollywood
            I'm not even sure the £86000 lifetime limit has come into being yet. I also think the care home fees have to have the personal care cost element removed.
            12-08-2022, 12:48 PM
            by jpucng62
            Two points:

1. Why should the tax payer pick up the bill for the parents care if they have assets? I really don't understand this point of view.

2. I would rather pay for my care and get a choice than rely on the Council & get possible a worse standard of care.
            12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
            by royw
            I'm not quite quite sure why you think they are being robbed? They have assets so can afford to pay for themselves. I would consider the council tax payers - many of whom can only dream of owning their own home - to have been robbed if they have to pay for it.
            Totally agree about those who could...
            11-08-2022, 22:45 PM
          • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
            by BIGGYBIBIG
            Hello everyone,
            I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
            10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
          Working...
          X