Kitchen / bathroom replacement before first let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen / bathroom replacement before first let

I've checked the forums for a definitive answer but I can't find one specifically for this scenario:

I have purchased a flat for BTL purposes - the kitchen / bathroom are useable ( if slightly dated / grubby ) and could do with like for like replacement to enhance future letting prospects.

If I carry out the work now ( before the first let ) can it be considered as a fully taxable expense?

Yes you can offset these cost against your revenue profit. Regards Peter

Comment

Cheers - if the work is carried out in Nov 2015 would the offset only be applicable to any profit in the current tax year ( ie up to Apr 2016? )

Comment

I'd leave the dated kitchen & bathroom, but make sure they were surgically clean.

I bet you'll thank me when you get the flat back.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I would update them and reap the rewards of higher rent and fewer voids.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by vaila_street View Post
            Cheers - if the work is carried out in Nov 2015 would the offset only be applicable to any profit in the current tax year ( ie up to Apr 2016? )
            You treat the costs as if they were incurred the first day the property is rented.

You might want to think about the optimum dates - remembering that losses can also be carried forward if declared.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X